ValveKing II Micro- taming the highs?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Emul

ValveKing II Micro- taming the highs?

Post by Emul » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi All,

A question for the ValveKing II Micro owners - for some reason the drive channel becomes very harsh and ice-picky with any treble setting over 3-4. I tried using a 10-band EQ in the loop, which helped a bit, but not much. Is there a way to make the treble control usable in the 5-10 range for the drive channel?
Also, is this a side-effect of the shared channel EQ?

I am using a 2x12 V30 cab.

Thanks

KTB

Re: ValveKing II Micro- taming the highs?

Post by KTB » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:07 am

Have you tried swapping tubes around and maybe 5751 in the PI slot would work. If not it's possible a mod could help to reduce the frequency of the mid-band response but this amp is so new nobody has really toyed with them yet but stay tuned. Also does it do it in the Class A setting also ?

Emul

Post by Emul » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:03 pm

KTB wrote:Have you tried swapping tubes around and maybe 5751 in the PI slot would work. If not it's possible a mod could help to reduce the frequency of the mid-band response but this amp is so new nobody has really toyed with them yet but stay tuned. Also does it do it in the Class A setting also ?
KTB, thanks for the reply. I will try testing with other preamp tubes, even V1 is kind of hard to access (behind the OT). Do you by any chance what the stock preamp tubes are (Ruby probably)? Also, I assume the PI is V3, correct? I tried different setting for the A/AB control and the best setting is close 10 o'clock. It looks the root cause of the problem is a spike in the frequency response in the higher mids/low highs. It is especially pronounced with brighter guitars.

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:04 pm

I still haven't spent a lot of time with my new VKMH, but I have been impressed with the little time I have on it.

A few weeks ago I tried a comparison of my VKMH against my C30 for a forum member. I attempted to level the cabinet/speaker playing field by running them both into my Triple XXX cab set for stereo. I think I never encountered what I'd describe as an ice-picky tone on the lead channel, no matter how high I ran the VKMH treble. But having typed that, I should note I was using my old, Heritage 140, with very PAF-ish pickups. When cranking the clean channels, I found the VKMH to go "harsh" long before the C30 clean channel. Keep in mind, my goal was only comparing the two, not trying to dial-in the best tone from the VKMH. ;-)

Don't discount what KTB suggests about swapping tubes. The VKMH is really new and needs some time to develop suggestions on how we can tweak it.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

mahoney

Post by mahoney » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:25 pm

I feel the same problem. I have a Gibson Les Paul studio which is no bright at all but in the lead channel I cant dial the treble no more than 3-4 also.

I use a Vintage 30 as a 1x12 cab as well. Maybe with another cab? I have a greenback at home but i haven't tried at rehearsal volumes. Maybe a compressor could tame the highs?

Also I don't put the gain more than 3 or 4 and boost it with an overdrive or booster.