Studio Pro 110, super low volume problem

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
QuietMike

Studio Pro 110, super low volume problem

Post by QuietMike » Fri May 29, 2015 10:53 pm

Hi, I'm actually a drummer, but i picked up a Peavy Studio Pro 110 from a yard sale, it was only $10 and in really nice cosmetic shape, they said that it didn't work.
but it does turn on, and i plugged in a channel from the e-drums, where i have an mp3 player playing through that, and you can hear the music through the amp -
but it is at extremely low volume, and turning any of the knobs on the amp will not increase or decrease the volume, you can hear the ton change.

could this be caused by a failed volume control?
or what should i test to find out how to fix it

thanks a bunch

BJP777

Re: Studio Pro 110, super low volume problem

Post by BJP777 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:25 am

Hi,

I had the same issue with this amp. The issue is usually in the effects loop, which is located on the front of the amp. Jumper the send and return of the effects loop with a small guitar patch lead and this should fix the issue.

Note: I haven't bothered to repair the effects loop as I never use it on this amp. I just continue to use the jumper lead.

Hope this works for you...

twangboy

Post by twangboy » Thu May 18, 2017 8:50 am

Common issue on all amps with an FX loop (or pre out/pwr in). The jacks get corroded from non use. i usually take a cable and some DeOxit. Spray the 1/4" plug with the DeOxit or contact cleaner (not wd40!) and insert it into the jacks several times each. i avoid spraying inside the jack as you can end up hosing down the board with contact cleaner. You should see improvement immediately. If its still seems dodgy, you can clean the jacks from the inside or simply replace them. If you aren't sure what you are doing, take it to a tech.
2- 87' Falcons, 90 Falcon Standard, 91 Falcon Custom,94 Axcelerator, 95 Firenza, Patriot, 83 Impact 2, 84 Horizon 2, Prowler, Wiggy, 2 X Classic 20,Classic 30 II, VK20MH(FieldKing!), 112SX cab, Transtube Pro 100 EFX, Transtube 258EFX

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Thu May 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Sometimes I lament one of my C50s not having an fx loop. Then threads like this go by and I'm OK with it. Besides I got another with an fx loop when I want that. I think living in the high altitude, dry, near desert keeps the corrosion problems down.

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Thu May 18, 2017 4:24 pm

twangboy wrote:Common issue on all amps with an FX loop (or pre out/pwr in). The jacks get corroded from non use. i usually take a cable and some DeOxit. Spray the 1/4" plug with the DeOxit or contact cleaner (not wd40!) and insert it into the jacks several times each. i avoid spraying inside the jack as you can end up hosing down the board with contact cleaner.
SNIP
Most of the inside of an amp is ok with contact cleaner on it, just don't turn it back on until it's had a few minutes to evaporate. Just spray some on the on something outside the amp after spraying it in and wait for that to evaporate.

That said, I prefer to get inside and hold the contact open and take an acid brush to it. A jack in otherwise good mechanical condition can almost always be resurrected with the proper cleaning. I get a lot of stuff used from the coasts and always have to clean the jacks and switches and such.