6505MH review and complains!!!

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
ScottMarlowe

Re: 6505MH review and complains!!!

Post by ScottMarlowe » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:07 pm

pgmlml wrote:With tons of preamp distortion, like the 6505 has, power amp distortion is not welcome! I remember reading an interview with Colin Richardson, saying that we doesn't crank this amps when recording!

PS: use the OScope on a Marshall instead! There are several threads on Vintageamps.com and some articles around the Net, that will confirm what I've said about PI distortion!
You seem to keep thinking I disagreed about PI Distortion on a Marshal. REREAD what I wrote. You said "you're wrong!" then agreed with what I wrote.

This is now getting tiresome.

vforever

Post by vforever » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:08 pm

pgmlml wrote:who said the class 5 sounded like a plexi? I just said i like it cranked! It wasn't me to brought the word "plexi " into this thread! ;)
I like this little amp! i'm just complaining because it could be better :D!
Well...it's implied. You said that phase inverter distortion is what sounds good, then you said it's "a big percentage" of what makes the Plexi sound good. And then you offered an example of a Marshall Class A lunchbox head that doesn't use the type of phase inverter that is a "big percentage" of good sound, yet according to you it "sounds fantastic when crancked". I guess that sort of opens doors for alternatives.

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:11 pm

To be fair, Class A Amps don't actually HAVE PI.

pgmlml

Post by pgmlml » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:32 pm

ScottMarlowe wrote: You seem to keep thinking I disagreed about PI Distortion on a Marshal. REREAD what I wrote. You said "you're wrong!" then agreed with what I wrote.

This is now getting tiresome.
You are Right! I read a non existing "NO"... lol ...I'm falling a sleep ...

And Yes, the class 5 is a Calss A amp with no PI! But sounds good when crancked because there are no Transistors in it :)

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:35 pm

Well as long as the transistors aren't clipping, they're just acting as in/out buffers without really shaping the sound too much. It's when you drive transistors into distortion that they usually sound like doo doo. So in this instance, I'm guessing the big 6505 doesn't depend on PI distortion so the little one probably doesn't have to have a tube PI to sound great. Me personally I'd prefer a tube PI all things considered, but I'm guessing adding a fourth pre-amp tube put the cost of construction just over the profit point for Peavey. So, we get a solid state PI.

stoneyvision

Post by stoneyvision » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:13 am

It's big brother does rely on the pi tube. Stick a 12ay7 or a 7025 in the pi slot. It becomes a neutered amp. Not just lower gain tone.. :shock:
I've tried that before. So i will pass on my thoughts on buying one next month. Didn't really care for the el84 tubes in it either.
The real question is why didn't they use 6v6 tubes..
"I sold my Fender evh 100 for getting mad at my
Peavey 5150 50 watt head" The peavey 5150 100 sits quietly..it knows better :twisted:

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:56 am

My guess is that the MH line are all "variations on a theme" so they all have the same PT, OT, and a lot of other common parts and only vary by the pre-amp PCB to keep costs down. Hence they all have EL84s etc.

stoneyvision

Post by stoneyvision » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:01 am

That makes sense from a production point of view.
"I sold my Fender evh 100 for getting mad at my
Peavey 5150 50 watt head" The peavey 5150 100 sits quietly..it knows better :twisted:

AndRed

Post by AndRed » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:11 pm

pgmlml wrote:I've asked Peavey for it. They were kind and send it to me. I don't want to turn it public, since I dont have that right. But here is a crop of the power amp section! (if you need the schematic I can send it to you by email, it's a 10 page pfd with parts list included)

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/4384/166SQI.png
Hi Pedro, Andrea here.
I would like to ask you if you have the schematic of this amp, I need to repair it and I need it. I tried to contact Peavy for it, without success. So I looked on internet and I've found this post. Please, send me a message if you can.

Many thanks,

And.

Mansfield

Post by Mansfield » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:11 pm

I have a 6505mh in for repair ( no channel switching). I could use some help getting a schematic. Thanks.