Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 screw ?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
G_T_P_

Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 screw ?

Post by G_T_P_ » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:34 pm

What that (red circle) ?

Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 1992

Washburn Parallaxe PXM20 eftbm
Washburn WD250 SWCE
Washburn MG-34
Washburn Pro USA WG 587

Peavey Grind 5 BXP

Peavey Stereo Chorus 212
Peavey 212 Cab
Peavey Combo 300
Peavey 410 TX
Peavey KB 300
Yorkville Bass Master 200
Yorkville BC115 cab

tele twister

Re: Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 screw ?

Post by tele twister » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:35 pm

Maybe that's a c/b mounting screw, IDK.
Is there a stud connected to the chassis underneath it?
I can't really make it out, from the pic.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:26 pm

It is a trim pot, a small control to adjust the chorus circuit. Unless you replaced some parts in the chorus circuit, I recommend you leave it alone.

It means you have the 1992 version of the amp.

rocktite9

Post by rocktite9 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:16 am

can anyone tell me if a stereo chorus 212 is blowing fuses, is it a high probabiliyty that the rectifierv is bad, sorry bout the typos i'm on dialup and if i delete it bumps me off ,thanx in advance

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:04 am

Much more likely an output transistor is shorted.

rocktite9

Post by rocktite9 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:47 am

thank god ive been reading your posts and when i tried to contact you my dialup and ageing 96 apple wouldnt let me . boy was that fast, hats off , now the hard part, im about as green as they come with elecytronics ,i dissconnected the red wires from the plug on the board and the fuse holds now but no sound, i have a multimeter but have never checked an output or diode or anything in electronics, i can only hope someone with your amazing experience can help me ,ive taken it apart three times now and am ready again, the amp looks new and was used for kariok ,what do you think as a good first step without being invasive

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:17 am

Try google: "testing transistors with a meter" Or "using diode test on meters"

rocktite9

Post by rocktite9 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:36 am

also there was a major loud hum before i i disconnected the red wires over the transformer and would blow fuses within seconds,ive got to go to work but will respond tonight if you have some way for me to test it with a fluke

rocktite9

Post by rocktite9 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:43 am

can you tell me specificly where these output transistors are located on the board and weathere or not i can test them while soldered with the red wires off, also if i difd find a bad output transistor could i ounsolder it and replace it easy or is it more likly theres other things bad too

bigjim

Post by bigjim » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:20 pm

I bought a peavey stereo chorus 212 non master a few years ago
because I used to have a classic chorus 212 that I loved.
I found the chorus on this amp to be inferior. Do you guys knows if the chorus part of the amps were the same. Not sure
If the guy who had the amp before me adjusted or bumped
something. I also couldn't load that pic at the top of the thread
Is it possible for you to post it again. Enzo do you know if these were the same builds chorus wise? The rest of the amp smokes. Thanks for any help
Big Jim

Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 non master
Peavey Classic 50 410
Delta blues 115
Peavey TNT

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:25 am

The only schematics for Stereo Chorus 212 I have are with Master volumes, but I do see Stereo Chorus 400 was not having one. Those would be different from the amp in this thread. There were more thanone Classic Chorus 212 versions.

The photo in post #1 was just a picture of an adjustment control on his board.

Are they the same? Beats me. They use the same set of ICs, but I'm not analyzing every transistor and cap. If they sound different, well, they are different amps. It could be as simple as the tweak adjustment in the chorus is a little off in one. I would note carefully wher it was set now, and then twiddle it by ear to see if you get a better setting, and if not, return the setting.

The speakers might be phased differently between the units. Only one of the two speakers has the chorus signal, use your ears to find which one, then TRY swapping the wires on that speaker ONLY, and see if you like it better or worse. If not, put it back.

bigjim

Post by bigjim » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:42 pm

Thanks Enzo! Was that screw inside the chassis or on the outside just out of curiosity ?

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:20 pm

It wasn't a screw, it was a small trimmer pot on the board.

bigjim

Post by bigjim » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:12 pm

So Enzo I tried reversing the speaker wires. When I did it on one side the chorus sounded great. Amazing and full.the way the classic chorus had sounded. Problem is when I put it off chorus the amp is clearly out of phase. So I returned the order back to the original and tried the other speaker and the same thing. The chorus was amazing and way richer but the amp goes out of phase without it. With both speakers reversed it sounds identical to the original sound I started with. Does this make any sense? Also both speakers seem to be chorusing no matter if I reversed wires or not.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:11 pm

That is the deal, out of phase in dry mode, lush in chorus. Phase them up in dry, and less depth in chorus. It was just a thought.

Reversing both speakers does nothing since the original phase relationship between the speakers remains.

If you play dry, the same thing comes out both speakers. Disconnect one speaker they sound alike. In chorus mode the two speakers get different things. One side still gets only dry signal. The other side gets a chorused signal withoput any dry. Put it in chorus and disconnect one speaker to hear just the other. Now listen to only the other speaker. I think you will find only one speaker actually choruses. The effect comes from the two working against one another. This sounds different from a chorus pedal which combines the chorused sound and the dry sound into one speaker.