6505+ strange preamp tube issue

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
dequelo

Re: 6505+ strange preamp tube issue

Post by dequelo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:00 pm

I got my amp back this past Sunday. The technician said he found loose connections on the preamp board. I played a show Monday night and the issue returned. Out of frustration, I called the tech and told him he didn't fix the issue. He said to bring it back and he would look closer at it...

Tuesday morning I decided to do a bit more troubleshooting myself. I started with the first preamp tube and pushed on it and the issue happened immediately. I reseated the tube and it went away. I swapped this tube with the 2nd one, and the issue still happened at socket #1. I tried many tube swaps and checked each socket, and can now say the issue is definitely in the first socket/circuit.

I took the amp back to the technician yesterday and showed him exactly where the issue is and he says he thinks the board has a broken trace. To me it seems like a bad connection in the actual socket, since the amp works until the tube is moved around slightly. Perhaps just needs to be re-soldered to the board.

I called Peavey tech support and they said I could send the amp in to be repaired, but shipping costs would be at my expense. I told the guy I already paid for shipping once and I shouldn't have to pay again for something that was obviously a factory error.

It's pathetic I had to spend 10 minutes finding the problem and the technician had my amp for almost a week! If he doesn't fix it this time, I will buy a good soldering kit and resolder the sockets myself.

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:55 am

It's WAY WAY WAY more likely that there's a cracked / broken solder joint for that tube than a broken trace. Just my experience with Peaveys.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:01 am

Broken trace, broken solder, bad connector/socket pin, it is all the same to a circuit. You wiggle the tube, push on it, pull it part way out, it might reveal a weak socket, but it also flexes the board and all the connections on it. FInding the point of interruption is the task at hand, and whichever of those options it turns out to be, we find it and correct it.

Intermittants are the hardest things there are to fix.

Endtimeriff

Post by Endtimeriff » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:17 pm

First time post here. As a Peavey fanatic for years I gotta say I'm skeptical of these Chinese 6505s and 6505+. I had a brand new 6505 side by side to my USA model and here are my thoughts.

1. The lettering ain't right in the front.
2. The output transformer is nearly an inch skinnier. (weak Peavey, just weak)
3. The power cable felt and looked skinnier and cheap.
4. The tolex was coming undone from underneath the amp (again, brand new).
5. The tolex is the wrong type and the logos seem off.
6. The white plastic switches are sticky and all feel of different quality.
7. There was a weird chemical smell coming off the new one. Discharging caps?
8. It's just didn't sound as full, probably due to the smaller OT, bit my USA made one has like 8 year old tubes in it. So that's off.
9. It was much noisier than the USA model.

So that's just a glance. I boxed the new one back up and returned it. It's super sad. It looked the part, but I just don't think the quality is up to snuff. If the outside is this wrong I'm afraid to see the inside.

I hope your amp gets fixed, but I would complain to Peavey directly. There's no reason for a brand new amp to have cold solder joints. Gross.