Older Peavey Classic 30 Overhaul (?)

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
JBridges

Older Peavey Classic 30 Overhaul (?)

Post by JBridges » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:06 pm

Hello all...this is the first forum I've ever joined : )

I have an "older" Peavey Classic 30 that I picked some years ago. I vaguely remember that the guy I got it from (cheap) said it was "modified". It has served me well. I had it serviced about 3 years ago from a reputable guy here in Atlanta and it checked out and seems to be in order. I want to keep it but I'd like to improve the sound. It has quite a "muffled/midrange" tone that I'd like to improve to a more "open" tone for my studio clients to have a good clean tube amp to drive their pedalboards.

The speaker has NO label on it. I have no idea the make, but my guess is that is not an original Peavey. The tubes are as follows in order from L to R:

EL84's :
Westinghouse 6BQ5
JJ
"no name" 6BQ5
JJ

12AX7's :
(3) Sovtek 0606

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, I know this has been difficult to find according to what I've read, but any guess on the manufacture date appreciated as well. Thanks!

Serial number: 08381815
MFG LOC-03
JGA16

Classic30inCincy

Re: Older Peavey Classic 30 Overhaul (?)

Post by Classic30inCincy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:34 pm

Your quest for tone requires new pre-amp tubes.......

Position V1 Clean......TungSol 12AX7
Position V2 Overdrive......JJ ECC803S Large Plate
Position V3 Phase Inverter........Sovtek 12AX7LPS Large Plate Low Noise

Pic's help identify age of amp :!: :idea: :!:

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:08 pm

Peavey used Eminence as well as imported speakers in many products. They called a lot of them Blue Marvel, a blanket brand meaning not made at Peavey. They didn't have a Blue Marvel sticker on them in the earlier units. Are there any numbers printed on it? Maybe 121638? Or 70777144? Those numbers would be on original speakers. At least earlier ones. I thought they sounded OK myself.

You want to spruce up your sound? First get rid of that mishmash of odd power tubes, get a nice new quad of EL84 for it.

Cincy's line up of preamp tubes may suit you too, but the one thing that changes the sound of any amp the most is the speaker. Connect your amp to as many other speakers as you can to see which appeal to you most.

Weaslem32

Post by Weaslem32 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:30 pm

I second Cincy & Enzo's recommendations. I changed out my power amp tubes and a similar compliment of preamp tubes as Cincy recommends. But I couldn't agree more with Enzo about the speaker. I built a closed back 2x12 cab for my C30 and put a pair of WGS Veteran 30's in it and I couldn't be happier. HUGE difference in tone, no question.

JBridges

Post by JBridges » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:29 am

Thanks so much guys for the helpful input! Looking forward to changing it up...

Cincy- I've ordered the suggested tubes...will give them a try. Is the is V1,V2,V3 order from L to R ?

Enzo- you were correct. I dug in with my phone and flashlight and found the number 70777144. So it is an original. Very cool...I'm getting a matching set of EL84's. Wondering how in the world a Westinghouse tube found it's way in the mix (!?)

Weaslem- I've heard of the WGS Vet, going to give it shot and A/B between the original.

Here are some pics. If you guys can guess the year of manufacture, please do : ) I added the tube protector myself a few years ago...

Thanks again,

JB

JBridges

Post by JBridges » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:16 am

Sorry the pics are so big :o ...I'll figure this forum thing out soon !

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:33 am

Pre-Amp Tubes run right to left beginning V1 closest to guitar input jack with V3 next to power tubes.

Amp is from "The Early Days" -----------> Production started 1991

jhull54

Post by jhull54 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:16 pm

Yep, thats an early 90s model. Just like mine. :D

You will love that preamp tube set. Will make a big difference in your dirt channel.

Speaker swap will make a difference also, but I would listen to it after the tube swap first.

dino_j

Post by dino_j » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:28 pm

I can't help but wonder what 'modifications' the previous owner made, and if that might be contributing to your dissatisfaction with your midrange tone quality. Perhaps he did some of the well known blue guitar mods (you can look those up at blueguitar.org) or maybe all he did was experiment with tubes.

By all means, get your new tubes before you start swapping the speaker. I agree with Enzo, the change of a speaker is the biggest impact on tone that you will get, but the stock speaker isn't bad with the right tube compliment. So I also agree with jhull54, experiment with the tubes before ordering a replacement speaker. I used a Beam Blocker with the Blue Marvel for quite a while, that helped tame the ice pick highs.

I personally found Cincy's tube set with a Mullard 12AX7 in V2 instead to be a bit better on the dirt/lead channel. I also swapped the Blue Marvel speaker for a WGS Reaper 55. Recently I bought an extension cab with a Celestion Vintage 30 and wow. I could not believe how it tamed the rough edges and really mellowed the amp out.

Lots of great advice and opinions/experiences on this site with the C30. You may want to try an EQ in the loop, that's one tip that's recommended here a lot. I use a 7 band Boss.

As you can see, I have enjoyed experimenting with the C30. I didn't do that because I disliked how it sounded stock. It's just a great amp to tweak and all the tweaks have helped me get 'my tone'.
"I'm too old to give up, but too young to rest" - Pete Townshend

https://www.youtube.com/user/ctp1daj/

Peavey AmpKit Link
Peavey Classic 30

VicodinDream

Post by VicodinDream » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:25 am

While speaker swaps, new tubes, ect. can make a amp sound GOOD. (I can attest to Cincy's tube set doing just that) I run an EQ with mine, however I avoid the effects loop. Everything I run is on my board, plugged into the input. I just don't like the FX loop because I can hear a difference. To add sparkle and brightness, I run a Klon KTR. OR a Mythical Overdrive (Klon clone). They seem to really make it a different ballgame.

I would try the tube set, and play with the amp EQ, which is passive.

I see a lot of them, mine included set around:
Bass- 7-8
Mids- 5-6
High- 7-8

JBridges

Post by JBridges » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:41 am

Thanks everyone for the input :D

The tubes are ordered. I think I'll hold off on replacing the speaker as I think it's cool that mine is still original, and based on most of what I've read, the Eminence speaker is pretty good. I have a Blackstar 1 x 12 extension cabinet I can try with it for now too. I'll mic up both in the studio and see what tones I can get.

I'm looking forward to hearing the difference of these new suggested tubes!

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:51 am

Blackstar should have 16 ohm speaker to work properly

16 ohm (on-board) + 16 ohm (extension) = 8 ohm (overall pull on amp)

JBridges

Post by JBridges » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:48 pm

Cincy - yes, I have a Blackstar HT112, and is a 16 ohm speaker. Thanks !

gsmacleod

Post by gsmacleod » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:25 am

That looks fantastic! I have a 410 combo of the same vintage and it isn't anywhere close to as clean as that - the tweed has seen much better days.

Good luck with the tubes - hopefully you find something that sounds just right to you.

Shane
Shane MacLeod

Studiopro 112 (Red stripe)
Special 212 (Red stripe)
XXL (Head)
Royal 8 + 112SX (silver stripe)
Classic 50 Head + 410E
Vypyr 30 + Sanpera II
Valveking 112

JBridges

Post by JBridges » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:13 am

Thanks Shane!