BLUE MARVEL FARTING AFTER CLASSIC 30 MOD

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
KTB1964

BLUE MARVEL FARTING AFTER CLASSIC 30 MOD

Post by KTB1964 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:56 pm

My amp tech upgraded the tone cap filter for bass and treble to .1 uf and now the blue marvel is farting out bad on the low E string. I suppose it can't handle the new bass response but amp sounds great with extension cab and blue marvel speaker bypassed. So it definitely seems like it is the Blue Marvel . I am assuming a speaker upgrade would be the solution to handle the higher bass in the circuit now, but need advise as to what speaker would be the best choice to handle the amp and produce now rounded tone. Did the amp mod to tame the mid range push of the amp which sounded "AM radio-ish" to me and wanted a more rounded and balanced tone ( fenderish or smoother EL 84 cleans). the mod helped achieve this by boosting the bass frequencies but now I need the right speaker to make the amp use-able. Want to keep this a lightweight combo and don't desire to lug a speaker cabinet to gigs to fix the problem of bypassing the Blue Marvel in the combo. Appreciate any suggestions...

thunda

Re: BLUE MARVEL FARTING AFTER CLASSIC 30 MOD

Post by thunda » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:32 pm

Eminence V1216 - great lows, lower mids and slightly attenuated highs, 120 watts 101 ish dB SPL
When Gibsons are outlawed, only outlaws will have Gibsons

Si Gibsons proscriptae soli proscript habebit Gibsons

KTB1964

Post by KTB1964 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:40 pm

thanks for the response. I ordered a Celestion G12h 55. 30 watt speaker with a bass response down to 55 hz. I am hoping that will handle the additional bass being put out by the mod. The mod done is much higher than most people do to the bass so not surprised it is having trouble handling it. It is much more on par with Fender tone values. If the speaker does not solve the problem, I guess I will have to spend a little more $ and have the tech reduce the bass cap down closer to normal spec and hope that new speaker will reduce some of honky mid and high range tone of this amp. It's got JJ's in it now so tubes should be good quality for sound. The new speaker should improve the tone better than the Blue Marvel POC and hopefully I can just tweak it to get it usable. But I have a bad feeling I will probably will wind up selling this and going more toward the EL 84 boutiquey end of things to try and get more tone mojo, or just break down and get a qualify Fender for good cleans and use pedals.

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:22 am

The problem with most mods is unintended consequences.

If an amp doesnt give you the tone you really want to hear within about 30 seconds of turning it on, my experience tells me it is highly likely not the right amp for you. Mods are someone else's idea of what that amp should/might sound like. Nearly ALL lower resale value of an amp. The unpredictable nature of mods makes them risky. It's not unlike hot-rodding cars. Some must do it. Many buy a brand new amp and immediately mod something. Often clueless, then toneless. I never touch an amp that has been modded, due to the inherent uncertainty. A Frankenstein is still a monster, no matter how many cigars he smokes or violins he plays. Might still burn down the house when you're not looking.

A friend with a much modded guitar explained it the best when asked about the incessant mods.
"It's a sickness, Bob."
Dalrymple

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:31 am

There is a lot more to it than the speaker, ther is also the speaker enclosure. Disconnect the internal speaker and connect the amp chassis to a closed back cab like a 4x12 or even a 2x12. See the difference enclosure makes.

Go listen to a Delta Blues with a 15. Same exact amp as the C30, but with a larger cab for the larger speaker.

KTB

Post by KTB » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:17 am

These mods never work in Peavey amps because there are so many other frequency networks going on in the whole scheme. You have to really analyze the whole structure gain stage by gain stage to get the results you normally get modding other amps.

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:20 am

I agree with the above posts but the "Tone Ranger" side of me is curious how it comes out with the new speaker. Keep us posted.

With so many variables it can be frustrating or it can be fun chasing tone. These days I accept my amps as they are, like them all, but will tweak a guitar in a heartbeat.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.