Peavey Classic 50 crackling sound and volume drops.

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
braidedwire

Peavey Classic 50 crackling sound and volume drops.

Post by braidedwire » Thu May 11, 2017 3:57 pm

Hi everyone, glad to become a member.
I have a problem with my 2003 Peavey Classic 50W 2x12 combo with fx loop. There is a nasty crackling sound heard through the speaker and also volume drops down sometimes. I'm not 100% sure now, but it might be happening on Lead channel only. I had this problem before and after replacing all the tubes.
Once i took it to a tech, he cleaned few pots as they were noisy (crackling also) while turning and it seemed it was better but finally after few days it went back to crackling. So i cleaned all the sockets and all the pots, because i thought they were the problem. It didn't really help, though the pots seem to be dead silent now;)
I noticed the channel switch (normal/lead) makes a bad noise when switched to Lead position. So i sprayed it inside with contact cleaner and it seemed like it got better after that. Next thought: faulty switch or maybe (as it was suggested to me) a bad relay. So i decided to replace the bad part but test everything beforehand using a footswitch, to determine whether it's a switch or a relay. And there is some new information:
Apparently:
-volume drops and crackling not present with footswitch plugged in,
-also no problems with the footswitch is not plugged in,
-the noisy switching into "Lead" position noise is there only if the loop is busy with a cord, but no volume drops then,
-last time i had crackling and vol. drops while playing was, when i had effects plugged in into the loop.
Has anyone encountered anything similar? I know crackling and volume drops is quite common, but as far as i read the causes differ.

Enzo

Re: Peavey Classic 50 crackling sound and volume drops.

Post by Enzo » Thu May 11, 2017 6:48 pm

Well yes, it can occur anywhere in the amp. It would be like a complaint that an automobile has a rattle or occasionally hesitates.

stratochile

Re: Peavey Classic 50 crackling sound and volume drops.

Post by stratochile » Mon May 22, 2017 7:50 am

try cleaning the reverb connections