Need a peavey mace 320t head.

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Skynyrd7377

Need a peavey mace 320t head.

Post by Skynyrd7377 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:09 pm

I am a huge Lynyrd skynyrd fan and I have been trying to find the perfect sound on my guitar for them. I have looked at maces, but can't find any for sale. I would much rather prefer a 320t head over a combo amp. If anyone knows where to get one or has one it would help a lot. Thanks

Skynyrd7377

Re: Need a peavey mace 320t head.

Post by Skynyrd7377 » Sat May 20, 2017 7:42 pm

I found one for about $680. Not sure if I should get it or keep looking. It's just the amp head

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Sun May 21, 2017 9:45 pm

Skynyrd7377 wrote:I found one for about $680. Not sure if I should get it or keep looking. It's just the amp head
$680 seems steep to me. I remembered seeing one sitting long enough on the local Craigs that I noted it in the Craigslist topic in Club Peavey. I just checked, that was in 2011 and they were asking $475. I thought $475 was high at the time.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

thunda

Post by thunda » Sun May 21, 2017 9:50 pm

$680 is ridiculous. More modern amps that can attain the same tones (and much more) can be had for much less. And don't forget that retubing with 6 6L6 tubes isn't cheap these days either. There is a Penta head (Gary Rossington uses one) on the local craig's list for about half that.
When Gibsons are outlawed, only outlaws will have Gibsons

Si Gibsons proscriptae soli proscript habebit Gibsons

westsider60

Post by westsider60 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:18 pm

If you look at some of Gary's Mace pix you'll notice that he is using the Mace 2/12 combo with the cab's plugged into the 4 ohm outputs, Wether or not he actually used the 8 ohm combo speakers only Gary and his crew would know.

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:55 pm

There is a Mace combo listed in Oklahoma City craigslist for $325.00. Only reason I haven't went after it is I've got too many amps now and I don't need that much power. It would probably be a good investment though.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

Rawcore05

Post by Rawcore05 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:50 am

I just went down this Skynyrd road and acquired a Deuce. I was looking for a Mace as well but I came across the deuce at a pawn shop for $100. Here's a clip from the day I got it: https://youtu.be/wMQB8Uc6QKs

I continue to find better and better tones out of it the more I mess with it. They are great amps, and it has started me down this solid state path. Aside from being built like tardigrades, the 70s-80s peavey solid state and hybrid stuff has really good southern rock and country tones. I've since acquired a Peavey Century as well :) 8)

tulseytown

Post by tulseytown » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:40 pm

That $680 head can be had for $550.

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:13 pm

Rawcore05 wrote:I just went down this Skynyrd road and acquired a Deuce. I was looking for a Mace as well but I came across the deuce at a pawn shop for $100. Here's a clip from the day I got it: https://youtu.be/wMQB8Uc6QKs

I continue to find better and better tones out of it the more I mess with it. They are great amps, and it has started me down this solid state path. Aside from being built like tardigrades, the 70s-80s peavey solid state and hybrid stuff has really good southern rock and country tones. I've since acquired a Peavey Century as well :) 8)

Nice playing and Wonderful Tone!!

You definitely scored with that amp for just a $100.00.

Very convincing tone!

TelevatorBass

Post by TelevatorBass » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:09 am

Rawcore05 wrote:I just went down this Skynyrd road and acquired a Deuce. I was looking for a Mace as well but I came across the deuce at a pawn shop for $100. Here's a clip from the day I got it: https://youtu.be/wMQB8Uc6QKs

I owned a Deuce back in the late '70s--it was my first good amp. Loved it, but moved up to a Mace head with a pair of 412S cabs when I turned 18 and started gigging. Still have the Mace.
Back then Marshall was king for hard rock and metal, but their pre/post gain implementation wasn't very good and most guys in my scene could only afford older heads without a master volume. The only answer for them was some weak buzzy distortion pedal, to stay within responsible club stage volume levels.
The Mace absolutely destroyed them. SO crunchy.
I don't think anyone even suspected that the preamp section was solid state. They would just see 6 glowing 6L6GCs and hear the thunder, then mutter to their drummer that "Peavey sucks".

$100 is a great price for a decent Deuce.
I considered getting one recently but ended up with a Transtube Express 112 Sheffield, which is perfect for my current needs. It's an incredible amp.
Loved your obscure microscopic critter mention.
Enjoy!