Valveking 100 Distorted Channel Problems

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Andersavage

Valveking 100 Distorted Channel Problems

Post by Andersavage » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:12 am

Hello, first time posting on this forum, but I've been waiting for an email back from customer support, and cannot wait any longer.

I have a first generation Valveking 100, and have recently noticed some problems with it. For some reason, when trying to get to a good volume with my band, I find it hard to reach a volume where I'm not being drowned out by the other guitarist/bassist/drummer. Basically the entire band in general. The other guitarist is using a 6505+ 2x12 combo, but he is using a 4x12 instead of the included speakers. I am also using a 4x12. The bass player is using a Fender Rumble 100 combo. My volume on the distorted channel seems to max out at around 11 or noon, so no matter how high I turn the volume beyond that point, it will not get louder.

I also recently have started to experience quite a bit of buzzing and noise on the distorted channel, regardless of where my gain is at (also, might I add, even when the volume on the guitar is off. The noise is there simply from switching to the distorted channel). As well as I get feedback pretty easily, but that's not really a big deal with my noise gate.

Yes, I do have pedals in front, and in the loop, and yes, these problems still occur when I plug directly into the amp. Can anyone help me figure out what is going on, and what I need to do to fix it?

twangboy

Re: Valveking 100 Distorted Channel Problems

Post by twangboy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:14 am

check the preamp tubes. You dont mention how old the tubes are, but if they are original to the amp, its possible the tube for the dirt channel is weak and or microphonic.
Tubes are the biggest part of a tube amp sound and when they start to go bad, there can be may weird symptoms.
2- 87' Falcons, 90 Falcon Standard, 91 Falcon Custom,94 Axcelerator, 95 Firenza, Patriot, 83 Impact 2, 84 Horizon 2, Prowler, Wiggy, 2 X Classic 20,Classic 30 II, VK20MH(FieldKing!), 112SX cab, Transtube Pro 100 EFX, Transtube 258EFX

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:06 pm

Isolate the problem. MAke sure to use a real speaker cord, not a guitar cord, for the speaker. T playing your head through the other guy's 4x12 to see if the speakers are involved.

You describe it as a distortion channel issue, but does that mean the clean channel is full strength? Or does it just mean you don't use the clean channel?

Patch across the FX loop, any difference?

Andersavage

Post by Andersavage » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:51 pm

Clean channel is fine, I don't really get a chance to use it as often as I'd like, but from what I can tell, there's no problems there.

Bought the amp in December. The tubes were brand new in it when I got it, and I have definitely been using a speaker cable to the cab. Didn't really get a chance to check it with his 4x12 yet, but I'll try that out next practice

Andersavage

Post by Andersavage » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:05 am

Update: So I took it to the place I bought it from, absolutely no problems. Took it back to band practice the next day and used my own power strip, solved all the problems I was having.

moshpit817

Post by moshpit817 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:01 pm

I like Happy Endings!