Peavey Classic VT - Noise Problem - Help!!!!

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Barnsleyboy008

Peavey Classic VT - Noise Problem - Help!!!!

Post by Barnsleyboy008 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi Guys,

Just registered, so hello from sunny England! I'd really appreciate a bit of assistance with my early eighties Peavey Classic VT amp which I've had for many years. When it's switched on with no guitar connected, all volume controls set to zero, I have excessive noise which can be heard here:

https://soundcloud.com/user-676608456

I took it to a local guy to sort out who I have used before and is very good. He has serviced the amp and replaced the valves. When I tested it before I brought it home I pointed out that it was still noisy. He suggested that it is due to the age of the amp and general electrical noise introduced by the components into the signal chain. Having tried it in my quieter home environment, I'm just not happy about how noisy it is. I'm going to take it back to him, but thought I'd see if anybody here could offer any thoughts on this.

I believe that the amp still has the original capacitors - could it be that they are the source of the white noise? Why is there noise even when no instrument is connected? The level of the noise level steps up for a few seconds, then cuts back down again, could this point to a specific component that has failed or is on its last legs?

The amp has a solid state pre-amp and tube power amp (2 x 6L6GC). The noise appeared some time back, but as I had another amp to use, I didn't bother getting it sorted out. I've now fallen in love with the amp again, and would love to re-instate it to it's former glory.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Paul.