High Gain Jack wiring- Solved!

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Chuck Gibson

High Gain Jack wiring- Solved!

Post by Chuck Gibson » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:49 pm

I have an Renown 212 solo series amp that had the high gain jack come loose and slip inside the amp. I was able to pull it back through the face of the cabinet and put a new nut on it but the high gain side would no longer work. The low side works just fine. I opened the amp up to check for loose wires and the high side jack ( three lug jack) only has one green wire going to it and it has a jumper wire tying it in to another lug on that same jack. Another lug on that jack looks like it had a wire soldered to it but it is broke off. There is not a loose wire there for me to solder back to the lug. The low gain jack right next to it has a red wire and a white wire going to separate lugs on it. The third lug on that low gain jack does not appear to have ever had anything soldered to it. Is there another wire that should be soldered to that high gain jack? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Chuck Gibson on Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck Gibson

Re: High Gain Jack wiring

Post by Chuck Gibson » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:31 pm

OK Guys. I'm desperate. I checked the high gain jack with an ohmeter and all three lugs show continuity to ground. Is this normal? The jack looks fine but could it be shorted out?

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:23 pm

I just did a quick look at the schematic for my Silverstripe Bandit and it looks like that is correct without a plug inserted. I'm guessing yours is the same. Try plugging a guitar cord into the amp and take an ohm reading on the jack at the other end. That should tell you if the jack is shorting out.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

Chuck Gibson

Post by Chuck Gibson » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:58 pm

Pappy B wrote:I just did a quick look at the schematic for my Silverstripe Bandit and it looks like that is correct without a plug inserted. I'm guessing yours is the same. Try plugging a guitar cord into the amp and take an ohm reading on the jack at the other end. That should tell you if the jack is shorting out.
Interesting. I plugged a guitar chord into the high jack and it changed the readings just as you described.

There are four wires bundled together in one larger black insulated wire. They start from a three pronged plug that begins at the circuit board and leads to the back of the low and high jacks. The wires coming out of the plug are as follows: One terminal has a white wire. One terminal has a red wire. The last terminal has a green wire as well as a bare wire coming from the same terminal.

The low jack has the red wire and white wire running to it.

The high jack has the green wire running to it with a jumper wire connecting another terminal on that same jack. NOW....The bare wire ends where the black insulation stops instead of running out to connect to anything.

Should that bare wire be extended to hook up to that last terminal?

That would mean that all of the wires connected to that one jack come from the same source.
Maybe when that jack slipped inside of the amp the bare wire melted back or something...

Thank you so much for helping me. I will be away from the computer tomorrow so it will be Thursday before I can get back with you on any other advice you guys share...

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:53 pm

I would recommend that you call Peavey customer service and request a schematic for your amp. That would be better than guessing what wire goes where. Don't email, call. They are great people to work with.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

Chuck Gibson

Post by Chuck Gibson » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:30 pm

Got it! Some folks on another forum posted a picture of how my set up should be.
The lug that has the white wire on the low gain jack should have a jumper going to the lug with the missing wire on the high gain jack. How that wire came loose from both places and disappeared is beyond me but stranger things have happened.
Thank you guys very much for your help!