Peavey XXX crunch and ultra channels WAY to loud and NO eq/vol/gain knobs work

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
WarClown4

Peavey XXX crunch and ultra channels WAY to loud and NO eq/vol/gain knobs work

Post by WarClown4 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:34 pm

Hello, new here and first post. My issue is i have 2 other XXX and a Jsx so very familiar as to how these amps are, but this one i got used just recently has crazy issues i could use help understanding. Last owner worned me the amp was REALLY hot both temp and signal but for what was paid, could not pass. Boy he was right. 3 times louder than any peavey in the stable. BUT, this is on channel volume and gain just barely cracked and master on 1. there is no more difference in volume or gain from .5 on up and NO EQ CHANGE at all on either dirty channel. Low end is very flubby and fuzzy and this is even with EL34s. It runs super hot, but tubes are not blue, and feeds back like absolute craziness. Pleas if anyone has some ideas to through at me, im sure this isnt the first time this amp has done this. Checked and swapped pre and power tubes, checked fx loop jacks and cleaned (the only way to lower volume is back off send and return levels BTW), grounds and connectors all read out, bias corrected.

Enzo

Re: Peavey XXX crunch and ultra channels WAY to loud and NO eq/vol/gain knobs work

Post by Enzo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:47 pm

First thought: loss of ground connection to panel controls.

If the amp is WAAAY louder than normal, I am not surprised it feeds back easily.