Swap my Blackstar HT20 Combo for Valveking 100

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
GazWaz

Swap my Blackstar HT20 Combo for Valveking 100

Post by GazWaz » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:52 am

Hi all and thank you for having me on your forums. It's not the first time I've been here as I've had many a Peavey amp including some nice ones such as my Classic 30 and a 212 Special Transtube which was efin loud man.

Anyway, I'm here for a slightly different reason and that is to gain your, probably bias, opinion on a deal that could go my way. This guy basically has a Valveking 100 head and 4x12 valveking cab in superb condition and wants to swap for my, also superb condition, Blackstar HT20 combo.

It's the MK1 head and he's just had it re-tubed.

I'm not gigging at the mo but I do plan too but whatever I do this amp will be a whole lot more than I will ever need but I just WANT A HALF STACK. There you go... I said it.... I'm pushing 50 and not yet owned a half stack.

So.. this may just be a slightly past mid life crisis but so long as it's playable at a reasonable level in the house I'd be more than happy to trade off power tube distortion for some pre-amp stuff. When the house is empty I'll get to turn it up to 3 but I'd be mostly playing at lower levels.

What dya reckon all. Shall I just do it? Can anyone compare the VK with the BS20?

Cheers for listening.

Gaz

GazWaz

Re: Swap my Blackstar HT20 Combo for Valveking 100

Post by GazWaz » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:43 am

There you go.. I did it. I pick my half stack up tomorrow morning. Can't wait.

Rock on....

heavycream

Post by heavycream » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:11 am

You made the right choice!

I debated over getting a HT20 or VK50 112 for weeks. The HT is known for its high gain. Being 50, I assume you're not a hardcore modern metal player. I actually really dig the clean channel. Sounds great but only one tone knob, not very versatile.

The VKs are very mod friendly. Much more of a true "valve" amp. Trying to mod or repair an HT is a nightmare. Those things are loaded with solid state and digital technology. They sound good but I consider them to be fools gold. Mixing digi/ss stuff with a tube amp can be great but I'd rather choose the devices i pair with my amp.

100w is a lot, too much for small spaces, but the HT20 cannot get over drums comfortably. Much more headroom with the 1/2 stack. Plus, now that you have a cab, you can get a smaller head pretty cheap.

I love my VK. It's very versatile, covers tons of genres and takes pedals extremely well. I get AWESOME tones with my XP360 into the loop return or even right in front. I also get some lush, creamy tones with just an OD or Fuzz driving the amp.

Sleep sound, you definitely got plenty of value in that trade. Have fun with your 1/2 stack and keep rockin'! 8)

GazWaz

Post by GazWaz » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:53 am

Thanks HeaveyCream,

I've spent a lot of the weekend getting to know the amp somewhat and I'm really liking it. Like you said, the HT20 had a nice clean channel but I really do think the VK clean is much better. I was pleasantly surprised with it. It sounded great with my EPI LP but when I plugged my strat into it I couldn't believe the tone I was getting at such a low volume.

It took a bit longer to tame the OD channel but I soon discovered the key here is not to wop the gain all the way up and use the EQ features of the amp. Again, I prefer the gain on this amp to the HT20 any day.

I'm going to be in the market for a booster of some kind and I'm open to suggestions. I'm not too bothered about really heavy chugging modern stuff but something nice and smooth. I was thinking something as simple as a DS1 or something along those lines. What dya think.

Cheers

Gaz

heavycream

Post by heavycream » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:40 pm

You hit the nail on the head. I look at it as a "best of both worlds" budget tube amp. Cleans are "Fender-ish", lead channel is voiced more toward the classic Marshall sound with extra gain. Probably the best value in the market.

Depends on what you like. Can't go wrong with Boss. I prefer the SD-1 (super overdrive) to the DS-1. More of a natural, warm, valvey OD. Also love the Fuzz Face and Big Muff.
A great option is some of the multi FX units. There are good, affordable pedals loaded with classic and boutique stompbox flavors. Really can give you a good idea of what you like. Not to mention the amp modeling. I sometimes use my RP360xp into the fx loop "return" and most of the amp models sound fn gorgeous! I can get some sweet Clapton, Hendrix and Gilmore tones, to name a few. Digi-tech, Boss, Zoom and Line 6 all make good/affordable units.

Analog booster/drive pedals are still king. There are tons of options. All depends what tones you're after. What are you into?

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:01 am

I'd recommend trying an EHX Soul Food.

GazWaz

Post by GazWaz » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:25 am

Thanks all,

I've just recently sold my Zoom G3X multi effects. It was great for recording direct to Cubase but I couldn't get it sound decent either in front of my Blackstar or in the effects loop.

I've sold it now so I won't be trying it through my VK. EHX Soulfood ey... I'll have a youtube on that tonight. I've had a few EHX pedals and they've always given a good sound.

Gaz

heavycream

Post by heavycream » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:29 pm

Good call, EHX makes great stuff. I love the Big Muff and Soul Food is very high on my OD wish list.

You may already be aware of this. Just in case, for future...
The ZoomG3X seems to be a good unit for the right application. I've never owned one but I spent a ton of time researching and comparing the G3 with other similar pedals. I think it's more suited to playing directly into a PC or PA. Also, the amp and OD/dist modeling is sub par. That being said, ***when using pedals with amp modeling into a real amp you have to bypass the pre-amp by plugging the guitar into the pedal and from the pedal "out" directly into the fx loop "return". Or disable the amp mod function on the pedal.
The VK clean channel is so clean I actually get descent tones with the pedal in front. The RP360 is more suited to be used with an amp tho. Plus the amp and OD modeling is better imo.
Anyway, mute point. Maybe it will apply to someone reading the thread.
Imo the VK amps are on the bright side, so any good OD pedal with some warmth will suit it well. Good luck and rock on!