Different op amp in delta blues?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
andyvk

Different op amp in delta blues?

Post by andyvk » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:11 pm

By all accounts that I've found, the Delta Blues (along with the Classic 30) is supposed to have a 4558 op-amp for the reverb. I'm looking at mine and it appears to have a 2114. Am I missing something here, or does anyone know of a change that has been made? I was wanting to swap the 4558 out with a 4562 to better drive the reverb, and now I'm scratching my head because I'm not familiar at all with the 2114.

Also, instead of an accutronics tank it looks like a ruby reverb tank. I'm trying to figure out if it's time to make a call, because this seems way out of place

Enzo

Re: Different op amp in delta blues?

Post by Enzo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:17 pm

The reverb drive is a basic op amp, nothing special. Like a 4558, a common part. If the reverb now works, then the IC in there is fine. I don't know a 2114 offhand, that could be a house number even. But it is very flexible what dual op amp you can use.

If someone replaced the original reverb pan with a Ruby pan, it just means the original pan died and they replaced it. Nothing more to read into it.

How will a 4562 drive the reverb better?

andyvk

Post by andyvk » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:04 pm

4558's are made to drive a much higher-z than typical input impedance on a reverb tank. 4562's optimal z is about 1/5 of a 4558, so it would drive the input of the tank more. The current op-amp is functioning fine, but I want a more saturated reverb. If this 2114 has a similarly high impedance preference I'll take a look at what I can do to replace it. The real rub is that this 2114m is an ultra-low-profile chip, making it more dificult to remove and replace.

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:19 pm

While I have no doubt that various op-amps might sound noticeably different from each other, I'm guessing from experience that the difference will be minimal.

On the other hand, I can totally see different reverb tanks making a huge difference in sound. A short decay three spring has a completely different sound than a long decay 2 spring. For a fairly small investment you could buy a couple of different reverb pans and see which one you liked the most. That's what I did. They all got used eventually.

TimmyV

Post by TimmyV » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:31 pm

Whoever replaced the tank with a ruby must not care about reverb too much. I would never put a ruby tank in any amp but that's just me. My valve king 100 had a ruby in it and it sounded horrible. I put a mod tank in it and it sounded much better and I don't even like mod tanks :o
Accutronics 4eb2c1b for me.

andyvk

Post by andyvk » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:35 pm

I've got a new pan on the way. I'll swap it out and see if it gets the job done. If not, I'll move on the replacing the 4558 with something made to handle impedances under 1kΩ

Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:01 am

I changed all the op-amps in my Bandit to OPA 2134A. I do think the reverb is less robust. If I ever have to open it up again, I'll probably reinstall a 4558 or 4560, (don't remember which was original!)
Then I'll know if it's just me, or there really is a difference!