Artist VT series transformer specs

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
creativeminds2198

Artist VT series transformer specs

Post by creativeminds2198 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:53 pm

Hello. Does anyone here know or possess the specs for the transformers for the Artist VT 1x12 combo? I'm particularly interested in the primary impedance of the output transformer and the 6.3v rating on the power transformer. Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Enzo

Re: Artist VT series transformer specs

Post by Enzo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:37 pm

Ask them at customer service at Peavey, if anyone knows, they do.

The OT is appropriate for a quad of 6L6, I couldn;t tell you the exact ratios, but to me it would be close enough knowing that.

The PT only has to power the four 6L6s, so 4 x 0.9A = 3.6A. Peavey transformers have always been robust, in my view, so I'd wager the 6v winding is good for considerably more than that. They use that same transformer in the Classic VT and the Deuce VT. SO if you were thinking of adding three or four 12AX7s, another amp or so current, I'd imagine you to be OK.

creativeminds2198

Post by creativeminds2198 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:00 pm

Enzo wrote:The PT only has to power the four 6L6s, so 4 x 0.9A = 3.6A. Peavey transformers have always been robust, in my view, so I'd wager the 6v winding is good for considerably more than that. They use that same transformer in the Classic VT and the Deuce VT. SO if you were thinking of adding three or four 12AX7s, another amp or so current, I'd imagine you to be OK.
Cool, really good to know! It's awfully beefy, so I have a feeling it has a little more left in it.

Reason I ask about the impedance of the OT because I'm toying with using a pair of EL34's since it's the same ballpark as a quad of 6L6's impedance wise. I'm leaning towards leaving it 6L6 at this point.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:22 am

A pair of EL34? Doesn't it have four power tubes?

EL34 takes 1.5A per heater, so four is 6A.

It appears your power tube board already have all pins 1 and 8 grounded. You would need to alter the screen grid circuits to put a 1k 5w screen grid resistor on each tube, as it sits it isn't individual resistors for each. Your bias will be too high for EL34, you would need to alter the bias circuit so you could adjust the voltage more suitably. The 6L6s are running about -55-60v, while EL34 want more like -42-45v.

creativeminds2198

Post by creativeminds2198 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:13 pm

Yep, it's gonna be quite a bit of heater current, hence why I am contemplating only using two.

Regarding the bias circuit, this amp will be getting a whole new circuit put in it that will be tailored to whatever tube compliment I go with, which will be dependent on both the heater rating of the power transformer and the primary impedance of the output transformer. My experience with Peavey transformers is limited at best, so I really don't know what to expect for the output impedance. I have no issue using the existing 6L6 setup, and may do so anyways, but the 2xEL34 setup would buy me 600mA of heater current and should be in the same ballpark for the primary impedance that it will want to see.

I also emailed Peavey customer service about the transformers yesterday, and still haven't received a response, so I may be playing it safe with the 4x6L6 setup anyways.