Classic 20 MH sound but louder/more headroom?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
White Limo

Classic 20 MH sound but louder/more headroom?

Post by White Limo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:23 pm

Hi guys,

I am loving the clips of the Classic 20 MH, both clean and on the gain channel, but I'm not sure it's going to be loud enough for my needs. I generally like to have "more than I need" rather than "just enough".

What's my best bet for a Peavey head that sounds similar but has more oomph? Looks like C30 and C50 heads no longer in production - do I go used?

Thanks!

White Limo

Re: Classic 20 MH sound but louder/more headroom?

Post by White Limo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:25 pm

Or is my best bet to get a C30 and run it like a head? (I like the sound of a 4x12, when I get get away with it.)

pabcrane17

Post by pabcrane17 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:44 pm

Hey,

Why not try a C30 with an extra cab? That way you get a bit of spread on stage of you want and also have the possibility of a stand alone combo if need be?

White Limo

Post by White Limo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:17 pm

pabcrane17 wrote:Hey,

Why not try a C30 with an extra cab? That way you get a bit of spread on stage of you want and also have the possibility of a stand alone combo if need be?
I was planning to do that with my Bandit but was hoping to have a head/cab setup for larger venues.

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:51 am

Just take the MSDI out and feed it to a powered speaker PA system. They're cheap and you can buy as much power as you need.

Or get a Classic 50. Master volume, lotsa power, great sounding. But none of the fancy MSDI/USB stuff if you like that.

VanR

Post by VanR » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:32 pm

Fact is I just bought a used Classic 20MH head and I'm having trouble getting enough volume out of it with the band at rehearsal, even set to 20 watts. Also the lead channel master has to be turned a lot higher than the clean volume to get the same volume (Clean on 12 o'clock, dirty post volume on 3 o'clock). Is this stuff normal or is something wrong with my unit? Someone stated to me that these amps are just not very loud amps.

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:31 pm

A lot of this has to do with the efficiency of the speaker(s) you're driving. A speaker with 102db@1meter@1W is going to be a lot louder than one that's got 92db@1meter@1W efficiency. The speakers in my Classic 50 are Jensen Electric Lightnings which are 99db sensitivity at 1M at 1W.

rbcarleton

Post by rbcarleton » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:30 pm

White Limo wrote:Hi guys,

I am loving the clips of the Classic 20 MH, both clean and on the gain channel, but I'm not sure it's going to be loud enough for my needs. I generally like to have "more than I need" rather than "just enough".

What's my best bet for a Peavey head that sounds similar but has more oomph? Looks like C30 and C50 heads no longer in production - do I go used?

Thanks!
What kind of cabinet do you want to use? A 4x12 might add enough. Speaker efficiency will be a factor too.
The 6 string guitar is the roadster of the guitars. It's fast, agile and fun. The bass guitar is more like a muscle car. It can move out too, but it's more about power.

Rhust

Post by Rhust » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:23 am

also check your tubes/bias... I had to replace mine recently, and I set it to the settings I always use and it was a huge volume jump... either the amp was biased cold before, hot now, or the tubes were cutting the volume...

White Limo

Post by White Limo » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:36 am

rbcarleton wrote:
White Limo wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks!
What kind of cabinet do you want to use? A 4x12 might add enough. Speaker efficiency will be a factor too.
Yeah - 4x12. You might be right. I just want to be sure.