Triple XXX head-- K5 position on Board One

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
moshpit817

Triple XXX head-- K5 position on Board One

Post by moshpit817 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi to all..I just did a repair on my newly purchased Triple XXX head,when I got it the "Send" level pot in the effects loop section had the shaft broken to where it was flush with the nut,but it was in wide open fully clockwise position so I figured it was ok,but me having way too much time on my hands every day I decided to order the correct parts and do the repair work myself..I ordered 2 pots and I am glad I did,the parts came in today,so as I was disassembling the Board #1,board that has the 2 send and return jacks and pots,the other pots shaft just fell apart so glad I ordered 2 of them..I got Board One out and removed all sauter on the pc board and removed both pots,then put them back together and installed the board back into proper position,my work came out nice looking except for 1 thing,I guess I barely nicked the corner of K5,a small black box looking part with the hot sautering iron and I can see a little bit inside K5 now,maybe some copper in there ? Anyway I looked at the schematic and what I found under K5 is as follows..
K3,K4,K5
3 150k 150k 70240035 150k--1/4w--5%---
--CF---T&R

Can anybody if possible please tell me what kind of part K5 is so I can order the correct part ? And if I can safely turn on and use my amp or do I have to wait until I fix it ? I don't have a foot switch yet,not sure if that helps or hurts any in this situation,I just want to use the amp now!

Also I went ahead and changed out my Screen Grid Resistors with the 1k-5 watters in wire round type..I ordered those from Tube Depot directly and they fit perfectly inside the white outlined box area on the PC board once the stock or other SGR's are removed,and mine had the original 100 ohms-5 watters still in place.I also purchased a 10k-5watt wire round resistor to make a Capacitor discharger tool,and I did fab one up and it worked great,really fast and was very safe !! YAAA !!! After I finished re-assembling amp I did a plate voltage/bias check and figured to run the tubes at or around 38Ma/Mv's per tube,and it sounds and feels great at that setting,that will be my permanent setting as long as I use 6L6-GC power tubes. Oh by the way the hardest part of changing out the SGR's & Send & Return pots was getting the Ribbon cable(s) unplugged!! I was so paranoid I was going to rip the ribbon apart or crack the board, but I figured out a safe way and it worked out fine! Giving many Thanks ahead of time for any info about what K5 is and any part numbers if available. I did take pictures of my SGR replacings and the send & return level pots and will try to figure out how to load the pictures on here.

moshpit817

Re: Triple XXX head-- K5 position on Board One

Post by moshpit817 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:59 pm

Any info on the K5 part,looks like a small black box on Board One ? Bump Bump Bump ! I called Peavey and was told it was/is a DPDT relay,does that sound correct ? :?: Any info Greatly appreciated!! This is what is on the top of the black box...

OMRON
G6A-274P
-ST-US-
12VDC
Bottom View

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:45 pm

Yeah you want to read the line above K3.K4,K5 on the schematic BOM:

3 12V RELAY 7132277 7132277 DPDT OMRON RELAY 12vDC

Peavey is steering you down the correct path. That resistor description you noted earlier is for R11.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:54 am

Just order by part number, that long number in the parts list.

The relay may be fine, try it first.

moshpit817

Post by moshpit817 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:23 am

JamesPaul wrote:Yeah you want to read the line above K3.K4,K5 on the schematic BOM:

3 12V RELAY 7132277 7132277 DPDT OMRON RELAY 12vDC

Peavey is steering you down the correct path. That resistor description you noted earlier is for R11.
Very good information,Thank you James Paul !! So far so good on the Peavey parts crew at Peavey,they really help a person out by even looking at the scematic to help narrow down and identify the correct part(s)/parts name for me on 2 prior orders and this 3rd one as well..I knew I made the right decision to come back to Peavey! Thank you again! :mrgreen:

moshpit817

Post by moshpit817 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:34 am

Enzo wrote:Just order by part number, that long number in the parts list.

The relay may be fine, try it first.
I did go ahead and fire my amp up,and if the relay is for channel switching it is working properly,by manually moving channel select switch it operates very smooth w/o any clicking or any noise at all.I am going to purchase a footswitch towards the middle-end of next week,right now I am having fun with this XXX amp that I don't mind switching channels by hand,but I might not be using the amp to its full potential so a foot switch a must have item..I see at least 2-3 aftermarket switches and the OEM type so trying to decide which one would be the best value and most reliable for the $$, but probably going with OEM with extra 15' cable included..Enzo I appreciate you and the many others that contribute your/their time and knowledge here on the Peavey forum,this helped me with my decision to try another Peavey product,lots of info here and something for everyone here! :D