Triple XXX head-- Effects loop- What did I do wrong ?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
moshpit817

Re: Triple XXX head-- Effects loop- What did I do wrong ?

Post by moshpit817 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:39 pm

tele twister wrote:I think I'm just now figuring out why it's usually called switch logic :lol:

IMHO, I'd rather have that switch, at my disposal, to tell an amp what to do, than go by what "they say".
With the foot switch connected, the circuit is now complete, and you're in command.
If that doesn't work, well then, I guess you'll have some more trouble shooting to do.

Besides, just being able to switch channels, while playing, comes in awfully handy too :wink:
Yeah I figured I will buy a new foot switch in 2 weeks after some other bills get paid that can't wait! :evil: and I understand what you are saying about a complete circuit..just sucks that a simple repair and no effects loop..makes no sense,but that's how sh!t goes for me. :x always the hard way..I will inform on this post if and when I get the loop back up and running so maybe the info can help somebody later on down the line...Thanks for all info...now stewing !! :|

moshpit817

Post by moshpit817 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:46 pm

tele twister wrote:I think I'm just now figuring out why it's usually called switch logic :lol:

IMHO, I'd rather have that switch, at my disposal, to tell an amp what to do, than go by what "they say".
With the foot switch connected, the circuit is now complete, and you're in command.
If that doesn't work, well then, I guess you'll have some more trouble shooting to do.

Besides, just being able to switch channels, while playing, comes in awfully handy too :wink:
That's what I have been trying to say all along in my own words..did I break the circuit when I unplugged the effects loop board,and need the foot switch to turn it back on/complete the circuit ?..sounds right,no pun intended! Thanks for the info!

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:57 pm

Stay calm man. Sometimes things can get frustrating, but that's when we learn (earn) patience.

If you're clever with circuits (which, btw, I'm certainly not), there may be a way to jumper the pins, and trick the amp into a certain default.
I don't know for sure, so I can't say for sure, and I don't want to see you completely ruin your amp.
When things get beyond my grasp, I take my stuff to a professional tech.
Probably the first question from them would be, "why not just get the foot switch" :wink:

moshpit817

Post by moshpit817 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:50 pm

tele twister wrote:Stay calm man. Sometimes things can get frustrating, but that's when we learn (earn) patience.

If you're clever with circuits (which, btw, I'm certainly not), there may be a way to jumper the pins, and trick the amp into a certain default.
I don't know for sure, so I can't say for sure, and I don't want to see you completely ruin your amp.
Probably the first question from them would be, "why not just get the foot switch" :wink:
Yep I saw the diagram on the pin locations and their uses,so I just tried to jumper/trick it and I could hear the relay clicking but probably not enough of a pure signal to get the relay to switch the effects loop on,so into the closet the Triple XXX goes and out comes my EVH 5150-3 50 watt head,the 5150's effects loop likes my reverb pedal so I'll wait on the footswitch and order one at the end of this coming week or early Monday the 21st..Thanks to all for any and all info! I will update when I receive the footswitch and either the loop coming back on or staying off. Done messing with it! Oh yeah there are no techs of any kind within 200 miles of my house,and the few just out of 200 miles are booked for 3-4 months so that's why I took on the job myself..gotta learn somehow !

moshpit817

Post by moshpit817 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:44 pm

tele twister wrote:Stay calm man. Sometimes things can get frustrating, but that's when we learn (earn) patience.

Good News tele twister !! My new 12v dpdt relay came in earlier this morning as well as a brand new electric Solder Sucker,I removed the relay I accidentally melted the corner on and installed and sautered the new relay in..installed effects loop board and fired my XXX up and the effects loop is working now,so all along it was the relay I melted the corner on by accident..Whew man I was pissed and bummed at the same time!! Now my amp using my reverb pedal sounds amazing like the 2 new send-return pots I installed made a huge difference,ITS A MIRACLE !! HaHa !! I will still buy the new footswitch next Monday and I will be complete again !! I have a new earthquaker devices DISPATCH MASTER V2 hitting my front door by 10am tomorrow and will have combo delay & reverb all in one ! Thanks to you and everybody else that commented here on my ridiculous post!! :D :) 8)

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:09 pm

Moshpit, that is really good news!
I'm very glad you got it back to working, and appreciate your thankfulness.
Have fun with it! :wink:

And, BTW, welcome to the forum!