1980s Peavey VTX Classic restoration

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
mrawls24

1980s Peavey VTX Classic restoration

Post by mrawls24 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:15 pm

I have two Peavey VTX Classic amplifiers I purchased back in 1983 and 1985. They have been great amplifiers, and they still work. However after years of use they need some restoration. The black covering is torn in places, the speaker grill on one has a hole in it, the velcro holding the speaker grills is lose, the five or six pin female female chassic connector for the foot switch is chipped, the foot pedals needs a new connector, etc. Does Peavey do restoration on those vintage amplifiers? The still work perfectly. They just need some restoration.

Thanks,
Michael

dalrymple

Re: 1980s Peavey VTX Classic restoration

Post by dalrymple » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:59 am

Labor costs would make it prohibitive, I'm sure, for most businesses to refurb old, cheap amps. This is mostly a do-it-yourselfer. Replace the broken parts. Peavey can help, maybe some. Older parts and footswitches get harder to find. A good tech can help with the electrical issues and replacement parts installs.
Tolex and re-grill that bad boy yourself if you want to see it looking good. You can do it.

As with all restoration projects, the costs will no doubt exceed the value of the finished product, so knowing that going in, it's a question of financial commitment and degree. If you just fix the problems and live with the ugly, well...decisions, decisions.
Have fun, if you really want it, do it.
Dalrymple

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:08 am

I doubt Peavey would do cosmetic restoration. Most repair shops won't. I know mine wouldn't.

These amps sell for like $200 more or less. My shop labor rate was $60 an hour. I sure couldn't strip that cab down, recover the tolex, recover the grille with new cloth, fix the pedal connector, and do much else, and not far exceed that amount. You'd need a yard or so of tolex, plus a good size hunk of grille cloth.

mrawls24

Post by mrawls24 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:34 am

UPDATE:
I have two Peavey VTX Classics. I replaced the six pin male plugs on both foot switches with new ones, and I replaced the busted female six pin footswitch plug on one of the amps. The six pin din male plug on one footswitch crumbled in to pieces as soon as I opened the metal housing, and it was the last still working foot switch. It definitely needed it, so that is fixed. I also replaced the worn out velcro inside the speaker covers as they kept falling off, so that is fixed too. One of the 1/4 inch speaker jacks was falling apart, so I replaced that as well.
Next I'm going to order about 6 yards of 18 inch width tolex nubtex, and recover the amps. I've read you can use Wilsonart H20 as glue for the tolex. It is available at many hardware stores.

This video looked like the best method to cover an amp with tolex. It shows how Mesa Boogie covers their cabinets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hRJqwhUCPQ

Michael