bandit 112 silver stripe transtube

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Grinningfrank

bandit 112 silver stripe transtube

Post by Grinningfrank » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:35 am

Hya guys, newbe here I recently purchased a bandit silver stripe transtube 112 which is a pretty good amp however the last knob that is the T-dynamics control can be continuously rotated making horendous banging noises in the process. Now this doesnt seem right to me. Do i need to replace this pot and can anyone suggest where i would get a replacement? Im in the UK by the way. Thanks in advance.

Pappy B

Re: bandit 112 silver stripe transtube

Post by Pappy B » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:39 am

Before you do anything repair wise, do a good cleaning on all the pots, jacks, speaker connectors and both ends of the reverb wires and the reverb tank connector jacks. There are a lot of youtube videos about cleanning/deoxidizing as well as info on this site. You will need a good contact cleaner such as DEOXIT. DO NOT USE WD40.

Your T-Dynamics pot may be bad but it's most likely got dust and dirt in it. My Silverstripe Bandit, for what ever reason, seems to need cleaning more often than my other Peaveys and it's my newest one.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:55 am

Yeah that pot should not turn 360 without stopping. Something's broken in it. If you have the skill to replace such things yourself, contact Peavey Customer Service by phone (email is notoriously unreliable) and order it from them. They should, at the very least, be able to tell you where to get it if they don't stock it anymore.

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:55 am

If the pot works in the normal positions and only acts up when going past where the stops should be, you can continue to use it until you can get time to get it replaced.

Grinningfrank

Post by Grinningfrank » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:18 pm

Thanks guys i thought the pot was knackerd it makes all sorts of noises when being turned so will need to be replaced. I do have the ability to fix it myself as i used to work in the electronics industry. I have a Marshal amp that just stops working occasionaly and once the pots are cleaned will work fine again for a few months. I have been a fan of peavey amps since the late eighties and the bandit silver stripe is just perfect for the sound i want. But i think this amp would benefit from a good clean up internally especially the reverb as it can be a bit clangy and feeds back to easily, i was told the reverb tank was replaced before i got my hands on it so maybe it hasnt been put back correctly. I will contact peavey to see if i can get a replacement pot and update you guys once its been fixed could be a while depending on how easy it is to get the replacement pot.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:35 pm

Open it up and LOOK at the pot. Pots are held together by the rear cover. It typically has four little metal tabs bent over the front to hold it together. Sometimes if something smacks the knob it can push out the rear. When that happens it no longer stops the shaft from spinning all way around. Simple solution is to get pliers and bend those tabs back down to tighten up the cover.

Of course the pot could be broken, but won;t hurt to check.
Last edited by Enzo on Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grinningfrank

Post by Grinningfrank » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:00 pm

Many thanks i will have a look at that i havnt had a chance to take it apart as yet but if its a simple fix that would be great.

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:54 pm

If your reverb tank was replaced it may not have the cardboard on the underside. Some people don't think it's needed and don't but it back when replacing the tank. As simple as it looks it can make a difference. If the tank isn't in a bag that makes a difference too.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

Grinningfrank

Post by Grinningfrank » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:47 am

Hya guys, success all fixed the 4 lugs at the back of the pot just had to be pushed back in and now it works fine. Removed a couple of cobwebs from the inside of the circuit board housing and some dust and hey presto. The reverb does have the cardboard base and bag and on inspection a guitar pic and a 5 pence fell out of it now that seems to working fine so im pretty happy now. So many thanks for all your help and advise.
Cheers
Pete

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Is that like a nickel :?: :wink:

netrecce

Post by netrecce » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:39 pm

:D
ALL HAIL THE 112 BANDIT!

(Especially the Transtube Silverstripe)