Peavey windsor 100watt head no power

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
StratDancaster

Peavey windsor 100watt head no power

Post by StratDancaster » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:43 am

I have a windsor 100watt head that I recently retubed. It worked great for 20mins or so then stopped. The sound dropped then everything stopped. The power light faded and the head went dead. There was a bit of a burning plastic smell. Is this a fuze issue? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

vypyrtrails

Re: Peavey windsor 100watt head no power

Post by vypyrtrails » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:08 am

Did you have the proper match, ohms select on the head, to the ohms of the cab?

I believe this is one way, if not properly set, can lead to what you have experienced.

The smell of burning plastic is never good. If I understand correctly, the fuse is there to protect the amp from
greater damage.

Thinking it might be more.

IMO, take it to an amp tech you trust, and hope for the best.

StratDancaster

Post by StratDancaster » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:03 pm

I run the windsor through 2X12 120watt 8ohm eminence legend (v128's) wired in parallel. Total 4 ohm load with the windsor set to 4 ohm. I put a new fuse in and it' seems to be working fine at low volume. Would it be a good idea to wire the cab in series to make it a 16ohm load so I'm not pushing the windsor too hard?

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:09 pm

StratDancaster wrote:I run the windsor through 2X12 120watt 8ohm eminence legend (v128's) wired in parallel. Total 4 ohm load with the windsor set to 4 ohm. I put a new fuse in and it' seems to be working fine at low volume. Would it be a good idea to wire the cab in series to make it a 16ohm load so I'm not pushing the windsor too hard?
It seems you have it wired right. It should not matter, as long as the head matches the cab ohm wise.

Chart on wiring: http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/ ... 609c73.jpg

I had a JSX head that did something similar to what your experiencing, but not to the point of the smell of burning plastic or a blown fuse.
I took it to an amp tech, he retubed it and buttoned up some questionable soldering and it was fine.

I am no amp tech, only sharing what I have experienced with my own gear. Later, down the road, I did learn to retube and set the bias of my JSX.

I still think taking to an amp tech that you trust is a good idea.

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:10 pm

It could have just been a tube that got broken in some way during transit and died after a few minutes, possibly redplating on the way out.

I'd try putting the old power tubes in and see if it works that way.

StratDancaster

Post by StratDancaster » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:01 am

Thanks for all the solid advice. I re wired the cab to 16ohms and put the old power tubes back in with no trouble or smells of burning plastic. Thinking it might be one of the new power tubes causing the problem. So far it sounds much better. Some of the pots are a bit grimy. Any advice on cleaning them? They're different then the round pot style I'm familiar with. Thanks again