Peavey Vypyr Pro 100 100W 1x12 Guitar Modeling Combo Amp

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
johnnytuinals

Peavey Vypyr Pro 100 100W 1x12 Guitar Modeling Combo Amp

Post by johnnytuinals » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:22 am

Looking for something to use in my living room,I really don't need 100Watts but for a New Peavey Vypyr Pro 100 100W 1x12 Guitar Modeling Combo Amp for $424 seems like a deal.($499 and 15% off}
I like that there are many Amps you can pick from and many on youtube love this amp.
I have a Marshall JCM2000 and a Orange PPC412 HP in my basement area but want to get something for the upstairs.
Many love the Boss Katana 100 that's selling for New $275 with discount.
Myself I feel the Peavey has many more Apps to pick from then the Boss and feel another $125 might be worth it?

rogue777

Re: Peavey Vypyr Pro 100 100W 1x12 Guitar Modeling Combo Amp

Post by rogue777 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:46 am

There is a Vypyr forum.

Anyway, outstanding deal! I have also taken advantage of sales on purchases of gear. It really makes it a great deal. Don't worry about the 100 watts, its only as loud as you want it to be. The Vypyr Pro is no doubt a great amp. I really like all the effects my Vypyr's and VIP have. Enjoy your new amp. Great choice you made.

johnnytuinals

Post by johnnytuinals » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:37 pm

Sorry I did not know that there was a Vypyr Pro area.
I was looking at the Boss Katana 100 but felt that the Peavey has many more
Amp apps to pick from.(Boss does has lots of Pedal apps}
I also like that there is a display on the Vypyr where the Boss has NONE.
I am sure both are great amps but will lean towards the Peavey for the Extra $100 discount.
Only problem that I have is that its made in China and that's where Peavey will be making everything soon.
Think I will pull the trigger soon because the $100 instant rebate might be gone soon.Thanks JT

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:04 pm

I don't own, or have played the Pro.

I have had the Katana, and own the Vip 2.

The Vips amp selections are 2nd to none! Very Good.
The downside is the effects, and very poor editing options, and control of the effects. Even using your computer.

The Katana is 100% usable, Top Notch effects and the power to edit them on your computer.
The downside is the amp selections (besides the brown sound) Imo, are not as good as the Vypyr series.

Imo, it comes down to how much does the effects mean to you? A plus for the Pro is, you have an effects loop, that
and a descent processor using the 4CM and your set.

johnnytuinals

Post by johnnytuinals » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Glad that I bought mine for $449 from Sweetwater today.
They had the $100 instant rebate that will end at the end of Aug and got another 10% off,
Its like pulling teeth trying to get a deal at MF
Years ago MF would be the place to buy a guitar and lately I have been happy
with buying Gibsons at Zzounds.
And was very surprised that Sweetwater will step up with a deal................JT

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:01 am

vypyrtrails wrote:I don't own, or have played the Pro.

I have had the Katana, and own the Vip 2.

The Vips amp selections are 2nd to none! Very Good.
The downside is the effects, and very poor editing options, and control of the effects. Even using your computer.

The Katana is 100% usable, Top Notch effects and the power to edit them on your computer.
The downside is the amp selections (besides the brown sound) Imo, are not as good as the Vypyr series.

Imo, it comes down to how much does the effects mean to you? A plus for the Pro is, you have an effects loop, that
and a descent processor using the 4CM and your set.

modulation effects on the Vypyr Pro suck, but i didn't buy it and keep it for flange/phaser/chorus effects that i don't really even use much.

the amp tones are spectacular, and that's why you buy an "amp". you can always add a multi effects unit to the effects loop as i did for modulation effects if you must. i got a used Digitech unit for under $100.

no experience with the Katana, but i've read that the 100W unit is the one to buy. even then, its supposedly not really great at high gain stuff. the Vypyr PRO does it all - clean. mid-gain, and full-on raging metal!

you may find the Vypyr Pro upgrading itself from the "living room amp" - i had 6505+ and Triple XXX halfstacks ... Vypyr Pro replaced them. :D

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:00 am

Landshark wrote:
modulation effects on the Vypyr Pro suck, but i didn't buy it and keep it for flange/phaser/chorus effects that i don't really even use much.

the amp tones are spectacular, and that's why you buy an "amp". you can always add a multi effects unit to the effects loop as i did for modulation effects if you must. i got a used Digitech unit for under $100.

no experience with the Katana, but i've read that the 100W unit is the one to buy. even then, its supposedly not really great at high gain stuff. the Vypyr PRO does it all - clean. mid-gain, and full-on raging metal!

you may find the Vypyr Pro upgrading itself from the "living room amp" - i had 6505+ and Triple XXX halfstacks ... Vypyr Pro replaced them. :D
Landshark, you actually got rid of / sold your 6505+ and Triple XXX halfstacks??

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:00 am

vypyrtrails wrote:
Landshark, you actually got rid of / sold your 6505+ and Triple XXX halfstacks??

yup. i actually swapped the 6505+ for the Triple XXX before i got the Vypyr ... i like the sound others get with the 6505, but it didn't do much for me. :?: i should have probably tried new tubes, but the hairtrigger volume knob didn't help - breathe on it and it went from bedroom level to stadium level. my wife loved that! LOL

i really liked the XXX (especially the Crunch channel on EL34's), but the Vypyr Pro got really close, and did a bunch of other great tones as well. one of my favorite patches is a blend of the 6505 and 6534 that i called "The 65's".

i was concerned about going from a sealed 4x12 cab to a 1x12 open-backed cab, but the Vypyr Pro has lots of chunk and thump.

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:33 pm

Landshark wrote:
vypyrtrails wrote:

yup. i actually swapped the 6505+ for the Triple XXX before i got the Vypyr ... i like the sound others get with the 6505, but it didn't do much for me. :?: i should have probably tried new tubes, but the hairtrigger volume knob didn't help - breathe on it and it went from bedroom level to stadium level. my wife loved that! LOL

i really liked the XXX (especially the Crunch channel on EL34's), but the Vypyr Pro got really close, and did a bunch of other great tones as well. one of my favorite patches is a blend of the 6505 and 6534 that i called "The 65's".

i was concerned about going from a sealed 4x12 cab to a 1x12 open-backed cab, but the Vypyr Pro has lots of chunk and thump.

I've had the 6505+ 1x12, don't care how you turned the knobs, not a bad tone to be found. Also had the Triple XXX, wanted to put KT77s in
it to get this sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zeA3b-zCWc

I've got to get in front of one, and hear for myself what everyone is talking about. :mrgreen:

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:55 am

vypyrtrails wrote:
I've had the 6505+ 1x12, don't care how you turned the knobs, not a bad tone to be found. Also had the Triple XXX, wanted to put KT77s in
it to get this sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zeA3b-zCWc

I've got to get in front of one, and hear for myself what everyone is talking about. :mrgreen:
6505+ didn't sound bad, but it wasn't inspiring. like i said, maybe new tubes would have helped. the cab i got with it was a generic Peavey 4x12 - i forget what speakers. by the time i got the XXX, i put 2 Eminence Governors and 2 Man-O-Wars in it. sounded great.

I always like Gary Holt's tone from Exodus - if you watch this video, you can see next to the wall of Marshalls that aren't even turned on, there is a lone XXX head doing all the work. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqCRoAcEmfU

it all started with the $30 Vypyr30 i scored. i figured if this old ass original Vypyr could sound so good, what would the latest Pro sound like? took a chance on it, and glad i did ...

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:38 am

Landshark wrote: 6505+ didn't sound bad, but it wasn't inspiring. like i said, maybe new tubes would have helped. the cab i got with it was a generic Peavey 4x12 - i forget what speakers. by the time i got the XXX, i put 2 Eminence Governors and 2 Man-O-Wars in it. sounded great.

I always like Gary Holt's tone from Exodus - if you watch this video, you can see next to the wall of Marshalls that aren't even turned on, there is a lone XXX head doing all the work. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqCRoAcEmfU

it all started with the $30 Vypyr30 i scored. i figured if this old ass original Vypyr could sound so good, what would the latest Pro sound like? took a chance on it, and glad i did ...
That was a seriously nice rig to let go of.

I watched the clip. I saw the two Triple XXXs flanking the stage, one on each side. So, I take it that you are able to produce
their tone with the Pro??

Have you done any recording with your Pro?

johnnytuinals

Post by johnnytuinals » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:54 pm

I got my Peavey Vypyr Pro today (Not a light amp}
I will try it on Monday when I get my Peavey Sanpera Pro Vypyr Pro Dual Foot Controller
that I got from amazon for $225(was not a bad hit}
Nice to see many are enjoy their amps..................JT

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:09 pm

johnnytuinals wrote:I got my Peavey Vypyr Pro today (Not a light amp}
I will try it on Monday when I get my Peavey Sanpera Pro Vypyr Pro Dual Foot Controller
that I got from amazon for $225(was not a bad hit}
Nice to see many are enjoy their amps..................JT
I felt like it wasn't much heavier than my vypyr 30 and wasn't even close to the 59 pound tube 60. I was quite pleased with the pro in this category.

Side note to a new pro owner, being able to blend amps is amazing! Hope you love it!
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

johnnytuinals

Post by johnnytuinals » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:02 pm

I have a Marshall JCM2000 100 watt head and a Peavey 6505 Cabinet 412 along with a Orange PPC412 HP down in my Basement computer room.Now this stuff is heavy compairing the Peavey Pro.
Very happy I was able to find the Foot pedal on Amazon at a great price.(last one for $225}
I was not even interested in buying another amp till I bought a New Gibson Billie Joe Armstrong ES137 last week.(still in the case}I feel life is kinda short and feel if yea have the money why not spend it,,,or is it better to give it too the Government when yea die lol.......JT

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:44 am

vypyrtrails wrote: I watched the clip. I saw the two Triple XXXs flanking the stage, one on each side. So, I take it that you are able to produce
their tone with the Pro??

Have you done any recording with your Pro?

i don't necessarily want to copy it, but i like the tones he gets - now he plays an ENGL Savage 120. saw them live, and the tone is just crushing - best live guitar sound i've ever heard!

i get a great similar tone blending the 3120,XXXII, and 6505 on the Vypro - if i tweaked it a bit with my MXR 10 band EQ, i could probably get it pretty close.