vol. loss on DB 210

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
B.J.TELE

vol. loss on DB 210

Post by B.J.TELE » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:41 pm

I recently purchased an older Delta Blues 210 with the single power switch. A friend has the identical amp and his is louder. I,ve owned and played classic series amps and they've always been raging loud for their rating. On any I've ever owned or played, the vol. on the clean channel in particular, comes on strong at about "2", and I rarely had to ever go beyond "3" for what I do. My friend's 210 DB acts accordingly the same. We did a side by side comparison and to match him I have to turn my vol. knob 1 1/2 to 2 numbers higher. This is the first classic series amp I've played or owned that has shown this deficiency, and that includes some that had well worn tubes. I don't know the history of the tubes in it, having purchased it used, but I see none of the classic signs of tired or defective tubes. I would appreciate any clues or possible solutions as to what might be causing this issue. Thanks in advance!!

dalrymple

Re: vol. loss on DB 210

Post by dalrymple » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:00 pm

You might take a look at the pre amp tubes. Instead of 3 12ax7's, it could have a 12at7, 5751 or even a lower gain tube in it. Speakers stock? My experience of the volume control in most classics matches yours, but if it gets up to proper top end volume, and it sounds good, a 1-2 notch dif on a setting on the way to the top is not a big deal. 0-60mph can take 2.7 sec. or 13. But once you get there, it's 60. If the total volume is what it should be, dont get hung up on the number of the knob settings on the way there. Just a number.
I wouldnt be surprised if you find some low gain stuff in there, or replacement, inefficient speakers, etc.
Good hunting.
Dalrymple

B.J.TELE

Post by B.J.TELE » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:58 pm

T hanks for replying Dairymple! The speakers are stock and I put in a 12AT7 in channel 2 after I got the amp, but the problem existed before I ever put the AT7 in V2. If it's achieving max vol. in the end then as you said, it wouldn't be an issue. I wasn't smart enough to check it topped out when testing it against my friends DB. Channel 1 is where I really notice it. I've had several different tubes in V1 and it doesn't make any difference. Usually that channel starts to break up at about 6 or 7 on classic series amps, but mine doesn't...in fact, in my small bedroom, 6 to 7 is very tolerable when it should be starting to drive me out! I'm baffled and frustrated. If you think of anything else please let me know..I'll listen to anything! Thanks again!

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:53 pm

It's possible you have one or more cathode bypass caps going bad. They make a VERY big difference in gain of the pre-amp.