Lots O'Power

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
jimPV

Lots O'Power

Post by jimPV » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:00 pm

Here is one incarnation on my quest to rattle the foundation of my house...
The single XXL powers the Wiggy cabinet with a wah, Whammy, fuzz octave, and phaser into the front end..
From the preamp out, the signal goes through more modulation and delay pedals, and a BBE Acoustimax (which actually works wonderfully) into a Classic 120 tube power amp that powers the cabinet it's perched upon..

From there the signal runs into another Classic 120 that powers another cabinet.
This set-up is so loud that it has caused the filament bulbs in the recessed lighting to fail and the globes on the flush mount lighting to fall from the fixtures.

Palm mutes feel like someone is slapping your chest as dust falls from all the light fixtures and anything hanging on the walls fall to the floor. The kitchen counter tops cannot have anything on them as well .

Obviously hearing protection is a must here,
And I live out in the country, so no fear of bothering the neighbors!!
In my quest for more volume, I think the next step is to have my 5 XXL's along with both power amps powering their own cabinets.. I'm hoping that this won't bruise my internal organs too badly, but I'm going to have fun doing it!!!
Attachments
IMG_20170810_115732.jpg
IMG_20170810_115732.jpg (3.37 MiB) Viewed 3356 times

vypyrtrails

Re: Lots O'Power

Post by vypyrtrails » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:21 pm

Very Cool!

Gotta ask, do you have any sound clips of this rig in action :?:

You have your delays and modulations on the outer amps/cabs... Its got to sound HUGE besides being Massive!

rogue777

Post by rogue777 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:02 pm

I like it. I was never into this low-power tube amp stuff. Yeah those muted chugg,,chugg,, I bet it sounds awesome.

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:50 pm

I definitely like it too!

I have the XXl head. I have also had a couple of those VK cabs, not to shabby.

Does the Classic 120 color your sound much?

jimPV

Post by jimPV » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:20 pm

vypyrtrails wrote:Very Cool!

Gotta ask, do you have any sound clips of this rig in action :?:

You have your delays and modulations on the outer amps/cabs... Its got to sound HUGE besides being Massive!
I don't have any sound clips as of yet, but am currently working on setting up gear to do so..

Yes, it sounds quite magnificent.. the Classic tube power amps make that XXL sound great!!

jimPV

Post by jimPV » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:31 pm

rogue777 wrote:I like it. I was never into this low-power tube amp stuff. Yeah those muted chugg,,chugg,, I bet it sounds awesome.
The low wattage stuff has it's usefulness for sure...but I love VOLUME!!
When the seven string gets plugged in is when the carnage really happens,

jimPV

Post by jimPV » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:15 am

vypyrtrails wrote:I definitely like it too!

I have the XXl head. I have also had a couple of those VK cabs, not to shabby.

Does the Classic 120 color your sound much?
I have gone through numerous tube and SS amps, and the XXL just does it for me, combined with the Classic Tube power amp, this rig does everything I need it to..

The Classic power amp barely colors the sound, but I'm also running 4 DOD FX40B EQ pedals along with the BBE Acoustimax for many tonal variations.. I only use the Maximizer section of the BBE to thicken up solos..

I have found that the VK speakers sound way better after they have been THOROUGHLY broken in, I can't stress that enough.. THOROUGHLY!!! They warm up nicely once you have done this.. They seem to to catch a lot of guff for being harsh, BREAK THOSE PUPPIES IN GOOD!!!

The best sounding cab is the Wiggy in the middle, it has a pair of WGS Liberator 80's , that's my gigging cab along with the XXL.. IMHO the Wiggy/Classic 212 cabinets are some of the best 212's out there..
As you can see, the Wiggy 212 cabinet is nearly as big as the VK 412 cabinet.. it really helps with those lower frequencies without being boomy.

The VK cab has a pair VK speakers, along with a pair of Sheffield 1230's in a criss cross pattern, sounds lovely!!

The Seismic cab is a decent one for the money,. It has a pair of Swamp Thangs in it and are still being broke in, they sound similar to the EVM12L, but with a much lower price tag...

The great thing is I didn't have to shell out a whole bunch of cash for this gear, and it sounds fabulous!!!

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:37 am

I like your choice of using different speakers. It adds dimension to the sound.

I always desired to try Sheffield speakers. I ordered a cab from Sweetwater, I believe it was the 6505 with Sheffield speakers.
They never got it in, so I canceled it. I think it was do to the fact Peavey was changing their operations and product line. Now
the 6505s have Celestion V30s.

Thanks for the heads up on all the speakers and cabs, great knowledge to know.