Increasing Treble on 1978 Peavey Deuce VT

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Greenlight

Increasing Treble on 1978 Peavey Deuce VT

Post by Greenlight » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:53 pm

Hi, I have a 1978 Peavey Deuce VT, which I love. The problem is, I like to play using a fair amount of Treble or High End, and this amp doesn't give enough of that. Ive increased it slightly by having the Post Gain and Pre Gain settings at equal amounts but I'm after more... Has anyone had any success increasing the Treble by any other means? The speakers are original CTS ones. The amp was recently serviced and fitted with JJ tubes. The schematic says that the Treble pots are 250k. I was considering swapping the pots for 500k or even 1Meg but was hoping there is an easier fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Enzo

Re: Increasing Treble on 1978 Peavey Deuce VT

Post by Enzo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:49 pm

Connect the amp to brighter speakers before going inside. Speakers have more effect on amp tone than anything else.

mrawls24

Post by mrawls24 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:06 am

For the distortion channel adding an Ibanez TS9DX Tube Screamer between the guitar and amplifier helps alot. The tube screamer is meant to be used in conjunction with the built in distortion in the amp. Use a little distortion from both the pedal and the amp at the same time. The TS9DX Tube Screamer will cut the bass and boost the upper mids and highs noticeably. On the TS9DX put the mode switch in the most clockwise "TS9" mode to get the treble boost. You will be glad you added that pedal. If you want more treble for the clean and the distortion channels put an MXR 10 band equalizer pedal in the effects loop, and use it's active EQ to boost the highs.

Michael

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:32 pm

eq in the loop.
Dalrymple

KTB

Post by KTB » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:43 am

Not sure that amp has a loop but would be the way to go.

The amp is very bassy because it's so powerful (100watts) and the original speakers were I believe black widows or scorpions and not sure what's in it now. It has SS preamp and 4 6L6GC's and is very loud even at low volume settings and boomy. If speaker doesn't do it I'd try eq in the front as a eq component mod change would require a tech that really knows what he is doing SS wise.

Greenlight

Post by Greenlight » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:11 pm

Thanks everyone for such excellent advice. I opted for an EQ pedal at the end of my pedal train, which has massively boosted the high end (and every other frequency too!). Thanks again!