5150 Lead Channel At Lower Volume

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
caleb.wilson3

5150 Lead Channel At Lower Volume

Post by caleb.wilson3 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:08 am

Hello,

I have a mid-90's Peavey 5150 Signature and I'm having a slight issue. The volume on the lead channel is a fair bit lower than the rhythm channel.

Now, I've searched the forum, and the results I've found have shown people having this issue coupled with a weak and thin tone. I want to stress that it is volume only. All of my gain and fullness is present, it is strictly just lower in volume.

In order to match the volume of my rhythm channel with the post knob on 3, I would have to put the post knob on the lead channel at around 5 or 6.

Here are some things I've tried to rule out some typical problems:

Plugged guitar into the return jack of the effects loop. Both channels sound even. No volume disparity.
Patched the effects send and return with a patch cable and it did not fix the issue.
Changed all power tubes and preamp tubes.
Cleaned all pots and jacks with contact cleaner.
Visually inspected electronics and found no apparent burn marks or melting plastic. (I didn't touch any of the electronics because I don't really want to chance being electrocuted)

Is there anyone out there that could shoot me some recommendations at to what my problem might be. Your assistance is greatly appreciated, thank you!

-Caleb

tele twister

Re: 5150 Lead Channel At Lower Volume

Post by tele twister » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:15 pm

Welcome caleb.wilson3!

Using the crunch button can make a significant difference in the volume of the rhythm channel, to begin with.
FWIW, I've never expected both channels to match in their post settings, as long as everything sounded good, and I had some room to adjust each channel, so they balance volume wise.

Now if one was at 2, and the other at 8, then I would suspect something was up.

caleb.wilson3

Post by caleb.wilson3 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:46 am

I was thinking the same thing until I plugged into a 6505. Crunch engaged on the rhythm channel with pre at 6 and post at 3 and it was great, switched to lead channel with same settings and the volume was almost spot on.

When I went back to my 5150 there's still the volume gap between the two. I took it to an amp tech today and he thinks the lead channel post potentiometer might have been replaced at one time with the wrong value. Maybe that could be it, there's definitely an issue though.

KTB

Post by KTB » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:37 am

The volume differences are just what it is as far as different amount of gain stages and other differences from compression and gain vs frequency differences.

As far as it being thin the 5150 will get very thin on you until the master volume is past 3. You will notice a huge difference once you pass that threshold in the overall global eq spectrum of the amp.