Help with a Triple X 112 Combo

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Frankhenrylee

Help with a Triple X 112 Combo

Post by Frankhenrylee » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:10 pm

Hello everyone!

I recently got back into playing guitar and picked up a used Triple XXX. I've been messing with it for a few months now and have finally dialed in a pretty nasty crunch.

I've got two questions about it.

I can't be totally sure about this because it doesn't make sense, but I swear the amp sounds different from one day to the next. My theory is the volume pot may be the problem because it's the only thing that changes, but there's no typical scratchy pot noise. Any thing that would cause this? The difference in tone is in the gain, but turning gain up doesn't get my tight crunch back. Just seems a little more like a Regular gain amp sound.

My other problem is the built in effects loop. It's noisy whether it's on or not and seems to color the tone even when it's turned off. More like I cant turn it completely off. Always seems to be on like on a setting of 1 or 2, but the noise is significant. The quality of the effects is not good, but I wouldn't expect a lot out of built in effects. Just not sure what to do about them. I'd kind of like to disable them, but not sure if that's possible without having some other problem.

Any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated!!!!

Enzo

Re: Help with a Triple X 112 Combo

Post by Enzo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:21 pm

Your ears change day to day, the humidity and air pressure vary day to day. Need to be more specific.

Are we talking the XXX40 EFX?

KTB

Post by KTB » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:23 am

Enzo wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:21 pm
Your ears change day to day, the humidity and air pressure vary day to day. Need to be more specific.

Fletcher Munson curves !

KTB

Post by KTB » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:27 am

It is possible to have a tech go in and bypass the effects so it is dry in and out.

Frankhenrylee

Post by Frankhenrylee » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:05 pm

Enzo wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:21 pm

Yes, Triple XXX Super 40EFX.

Seems to lose gain. Sometimes I get a pretty tight, high gain, sharp crunch (which I prefer) and other times seems like I get the more rounded Mesa or Marshall type vintage-ish crunch.

Seems like this has got to be in the volume or gain pots.

Frankhenrylee

Post by Frankhenrylee » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm

KTB wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:27 am
It is possible to have a tech go in and bypass the effects so it is dry in and out.
I may do this. I've been entertaining the idea basically turning it into a head and building a couple of 1x12 cabs so I can try out some of the stereo type effects like chorus.
Theoretically, without even considering the noise the effects are making, removing them should improve tone I would assume.

KTB

Post by KTB » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:59 am

Depends on who does it. Would recommend FJA Mods and Jerry is very good with Peavey amps and would do it right.

Frankhenrylee

Post by Frankhenrylee » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:34 pm

I assume no other thoughts on my possibly imaginary gain channel sounding different from day to day?

I guess I've got to get her to a tech, but really don't want to throw much money at it considering I could probably sell it and get another without the effects for less.

Here another question if ya'll don't mind helping a fellow Peavey guy out. I've seen some attenuator switches on other amps that go down to 1 watt. I assume I could get one added. Could that be used to make the speaker output compatible with headphones?

Frankhenrylee

Post by Frankhenrylee » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:21 pm

Okay,
I have a new occurrence that I hope someone can help me with. As stated before I feel like the amp sounds different almost every time I turn it on.

When I first got it, Ithoight it was very dark and bass heavy to the point that I could only dial the bass to about 3-4 max.

I was messing with settings and cranked the bass much higher and now it's like I have almost no bass. I have to crank it all the way up just to get a moderate amount of bass.

I hate to spend much on this amp and I have a little DIY ability. Any ideas as to what could be failing or do I need to cut my losses on this one?

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:49 am

for starters, i would change all the tubes.

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:28 am

Although it may not help, it wont hurt to do a good cleaning of all connectors, jacks and pots with a deoxidizing contact spray. There is a lot of info on this forum and youtube on ways to do it.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

Frankhenrylee

Post by Frankhenrylee » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:27 pm

Crap, been so busy I almost forgot I asked about this.

I did replace the tubes not long after I got it trying to tighten up how dark and bassy it sounded. Guess I should’ve just cranked the bass up and saved the money on tubes. Ha!

Running through it with a little cleaner sounds like a good idea.

Any other ideas or is this probably in the realm of getting someone that knows what their doing to look at it?