Peavey Duel Two Twelve Classic Tube Series

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
MrMurphy

Peavey Duel Two Twelve Classic Tube Series

Post by MrMurphy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:27 am

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have a Peavey Duel Two Twelve Classic. I know this amp has been discussed alot here, but I haven't found the info I'm looking for. This amp has Sovtek tubes in it now, but I dont think I came with these tubes from the factory. Id like to know what tubes came in it from the factory. The cab got wet thanks to hurricane Harvey, but the amp is OK. I plan to turn t into a stand alone head, and build a 4 12 cab to drive with it, and was wondering where the reverb tank should be mounted. Thanks in advance for any info.

KTB

Re: Peavey Duel Two Twelve Classic Tube Series

Post by KTB » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:20 am

Hard to say what tubes came with it but wouldn't be surprised if it was Sovteks. These day they use anything or what is the best deal at the time. If you don't like them change them. As for the reverb would mount it in the bottom of the head cab and give a little extra room for it and use rubber bushings to mount it and make sure it's shielded very well. Going to be hard to keep all the hum out with it so close to the electronics and putting it in the speaker cab is not a good idea.

MrMurphy

Post by MrMurphy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:13 am

The Sovteks sound awesome to be honest, I was just curious as to what came in it originally..

KTB

Post by KTB » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:31 am

Imo most of the current production tubes are pretty close and lots of the Peavey guys on this forum have some really nice tube combinations so listen to what they say as pure experience. I like to use NOS in the older amps and personal designs but not sure you would benefit from them in amps made from Peavey that have so much frequency shaping going on. It's going to sound like a Peavey no matter what tubes you throw in it.

MrMurphy

Post by MrMurphy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:50 am

I think this amp is around 12 -15 yrs old, somewhere in there, and I think the stock driver tubes are still in it too. Its always sounded great to me, 120 watts is a lot of power for 2 12"s..

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:55 pm

Ther is no way to know what came in it originally, since they used more than one brand of tube. They might be using Sovtek one month, then the next month Chinese tubes from Ruby. In the 1980s, could have been Phillips or GE even. They used whatever tube they could get reliable production quantities of when amps were being built. When they need 10,000 tubes, a company with 400 tubes is no help. So the choice between SOvtek and JJ might be nothing more than who has them in stock on the day we order.

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:36 am

Hey fellow Duel owner! I've got one and have found that the tone is far more responsive in terms of what power tubes I'm running than the 12AX7s. I REALLY like the sound of Chinese 5881s in this amp. I currently have Sovtek 6L6WXTs in mine and they sound good, but the 5881s have a certain thumpiness to them that the 6L6s don't.

I do like using a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the V4 phase inverter position. I also run a NOS GE 5751 in the V1 position, just like on most amps I own. Almost any decent 12AX7 works fine in V2 and V3 though. Currently running Sovtek 12AX7As for those positions.

If you're missing the foot pedal let me know I got the plans for how to convert a Classic Chorus foot pedal to work.