New Mid Size Solid State Model

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Ian Rees

New Mid Size Solid State Model

Post by Ian Rees » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:46 am

Although I admire the Vypyr models, not everyone wants the huge range of effects and amp models and the complications of presets, downloads and messing about with computers. And to be honest, there a lot of older folk like me who want to buy straightforward amps with great tone, but who don't want the raw volume of a Peavey Bandit and for whom the Rage 258 is a bit tame. How about a new 40 to 50 watter for us?

Pappy B

Re: New Mid Size Solid State Model

Post by Pappy B » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:56 am

Ian, I think like you. I love the big (and small) loud Peaveys I have but would like to see something like the Pacer brought back to life. Or the Backstage Plus with just a little more volume in the clean mode.

On the other hand, I like the old stuff and don't know that I'd buy a new amp again.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

Dano0369

Post by Dano0369 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:06 pm

ENVOY 110- :arrow:
Dano0369

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:06 pm

I just looked up the Envoy. I like the looks of it. I've wanted a Silver Stripe version for a long time but every time I find one I can buy a Bandit for the same price. Musician's Friend price for the new one is about what I paid for my Silver Stripe Bandit back in 1995. I need to renew my search for an Envoy.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:18 am

Unlike a tube amp, there are no power tubes to overdrive. SO a solid state amp can be turned down with the controls.

Pappy B

Post by Pappy B » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:51 am

You're right Enzo. I have always been happy with the sound of my Special 130 even at very low volumes but not that wild about the VT Classic sound unless I really crank it and the wife won't allow that very often. I guess my biggest reason to want an Envoy is it's physical size and the 10" speaker. Right now I only have amps with 12" speakers. I really have more than I need now, I just want another amp!

rbcarleton

Post by rbcarleton » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:57 am

Ian Rees wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:46 am
Although I admire the Vypyr models, not everyone wants the huge range of effects and amp models and the complications of presets, downloads and messing about with computers. And to be honest, there a lot of older folk like me who want to buy straightforward amps with great tone, but who don't want the raw volume of a Peavey Bandit and for whom the Rage 258 is a bit tame. How about a new 40 to 50 watter for us?
The Bandit has power level switch that you can use to cut the power to 50% or 25%. That makes it more flexible, but of course it is still just as heavy to carry around. They Envoy comes in around 40 watts, but doesn't have all the features that the Bandit has. The Envoy is lighter though. I've seen other people remark about moving to the Envoy, because it worked for them and was lighter than the Bandit.
The 6 string guitar is the roadster of the guitars. It's fast, agile and fun. The bass guitar is more like a muscle car. It can move out too, but it's more about power.

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:19 am

Ian Rees wrote:
Although I admire the Vypyr models, not everyone wants the huge range of effects and amp models and the complications of presets, downloads and messing about with computers.
that's exactly why i like the Vypyr Pro - all the main amp controls are right on the front with big knobs - very minimal menu diving. if you *want to*, you can get crazy mixing amp models, instrument models, and effects ... or just dial up an amp model, adjust the knobs for tone, and go.
And to be honest, there a lot of older folk like me who want to buy straightforward amps with great tone, but who don't want the raw volume of a Peavey Bandit and for whom the Rage 258 is a bit tame. How about a new 40 to 50 watter for us?
the Vypro has the Power Sponge ... goes from 1w to 100w.

rbcarleton

Post by rbcarleton » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:20 pm

rbcarleton wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:57 am
Ian Rees wrote:
The Bandit has power level switch that you can use to cut the power to 50% or 25%. That makes it more flexible, but of course it is still just as heavy to carry around. They Envoy comes in around 40 watts, but doesn't have all the features that the Bandit has. The Envoy is lighter though. I've seen other people remark about moving to the Envoy, because it worked for them and was lighter than the Bandit.
I'll add a suggestion, just add an effects loop to the Envoy along with an XLR simulated speaker out to replace or supplement the TS simulated speaker out. I think that alone would make the Envoy more popular.
The 6 string guitar is the roadster of the guitars. It's fast, agile and fun. The bass guitar is more like a muscle car. It can move out too, but it's more about power.

TimmyV

Post by TimmyV » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:56 am

Redstripe Envoy110 modded with an fx loop

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:56 am

If you havent played thru a Vypyr before, most people are overwhelmed by the notion of built in effects, adjusting them, finding them, activating them, etc...
Pshew! INSTANT OVERLOAD. Add in the default amp model at turn on from the factory is a screeching, squalling, awful Metal amp... NEXT!

But a Vypyr is just like Ronco, SET IT AND FORGET IT!. Dial in what you want to hear, save it, and you never have to EVER mess with any knobs or buttons again(other than volume). EVER. Turn on the amp, and it goes right where you want it. Save those effects settings and now they are built in.
SET IT AND FORGET IT!. Super simple, and set by you to sound that way, always.

If you EVER want to use ANY effects, no amp is simpler after initial set up. Pedals are nothing but more to carry and mess up. Dont be afraid, kids, she doesn't bite! Well, maybe if I tell her to! Cheap used too.
Dalrymple