6505MH played without a cab / speaker enabled - should I buy it

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
MadYarpen

6505MH played without a cab / speaker enabled - should I buy it

Post by MadYarpen » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:47 pm

Hello,

I hope you can help me.

As it is impossible to purchase a new 6505MH in my country, I have finally found a used one to buy close to my home.

However, its owner often was not using any cab, only headphones (no cab was plugged in). But the speaker was always enabled. He didn’t read the instructions apparently. And he was using only 1W mode, by the way.

I know you should not do it with tube amps.

Is this head secured from such mistakes? So far I haven't checked it with a cab.

But, assuming it works with a cab, which I will somehow check (I’ll take it to a music store probably), can I safely purchase it (meaning if it broke down, it simply would not work, but if it does work – then it’s fine?)

Thanks in advance. The demand for these amps is high and I wouldn’t want to miss this deal, but on the other hand I wouldn't want to waste my money as well...

Enzo

Re: 6505MH played without a cab / speaker enabled - should I buy it

Post by Enzo » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:04 pm

Without a speaker there is POTENTIAL for damage to the output transformer. But Peavey amps have for decades added protective diodes (we call them flyback diodes) to defend against that very thing. And potential is not the same thing as assured destruction. SO if the amp works into a cab, and give it a few good loud chords, then likely it is just fine. Potential dangers or not, output transformers are pretty darn reliable things.

MadYarpen

Post by MadYarpen » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:57 pm

Enzo wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:04 pm
Without a speaker there is POTENTIAL for damage to the output transformer. But Peavey amps have for decades added protective diodes (we call them flyback diodes) to defend against that very thing. And potential is not the same thing as assured destruction. SO if the amp works into a cab, and give it a few good loud chords, then likely it is just fine. Potential dangers or not, output transformers are pretty darn reliable things.
Thanks! I will try it with a cab then.

Also, I jest received somewhat similar answer from the Peavey support. I was surprised how quickly they replied.

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:51 pm

Peavey Customer Support is some of, if not THE, best in the business.

In addition to what Enzo already noted, the MH's had attenuators. If the previous owner only had it on the 1W setting, that would have put some load on the transformer, even without the speaker. Even more reason to try it out as Enzo suggested.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.