Pleasant Surprise Speaker Replacement

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Pappy B

Pleasant Surprise Speaker Replacement

Post by Pappy B » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:52 pm

I have a Special (Not a 130 or newer model but the 1st model) and I was wanting the Scorpion out of it to use in another amp. The best thing I had on hand to place in it is a Sheffield 1290 16 ohm.

I've read that so many people bad mouth this speaker, especially used as a single in a combo. I've used it briefly in several amps and a home made sealed cab and it was okay but just never quite right for me. But it sounds great, to me, in the Special and still plenty loud for in the house.

This was supposed to be a temporary setup because I've got the amp listed for sale but I may change my mind and keep it. Once again I had to tell myself to listen to an amp or guitar for what is is and not what I think it should be.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

Enzo

Re: Pleasant Surprise Speaker Replacement

Post by Enzo » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:51 pm

It doesn't matter what other people think of a speaker, it only matters what YOU think of a speaker.

A lot of people love feta cheese, but to me it smells like vomit and makes me gag. it isn't like one of us is wrong and the other right. I have a friend who really likes a dark sound from an amp. I like a bright sound. When he plays I think to myself< "turn up the damned treble!" I am sure he thinks my tone is shrill.

Pappy B

Re: Pleasant Surprise Speaker Replacement

Post by Pappy B » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:56 pm

Kinda makes life more interestin does't it?
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.