Need help with my 215D cabinet

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey bass amplifiers.
Cb4rabid

Need help with my 215D cabinet

Post by Cb4rabid » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:56 pm

I have an old Peavey 215D that I use. I have questions that have been driving me crazy since I got the thing, and i've tried doing some research, but I don't realy get the answers im looking for.

1. What are the specs of this thing? I know it's a 4 ohm cab, but what is the wattage rating? I'm running a Peavey Mark VIII which puts out 350w @ 4ohms, but what is the cab's rating? I'm not worried about frying the cab because i'm sure it handles more than 350w, but I just want to know for sure.

2. How do I know what speakers it has? Ive heard that they either have Scorpions or Black Widows. How do I know for sure? I mean, I look at a speaker and...they all look the same to me. Im guessing I would have to open up the cab and look at the driver, but how do I do this?'

3. I would also like to know how old it is. The serial # is 9E-04220002

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Box

Re: Need help with my 215D cabinet

Post by Box » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:29 pm

I Peavey________
Ensoniq VFX
Korg Monotron
Korg Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KM802
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Cb4rabid

Post by Cb4rabid » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:35 pm

It would appear that I have BW speakers, but it doesnt say anything on the driver? I also found a sticker that says 15675X on one of the speakers.

kadmos

Post by kadmos » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:55 pm

can anyone help ID this cab? just acquired, don't know what speakers it has, rating or anything.

ImageA

thanks

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:50 pm

You have to open cab to identify speakers......

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

kadmos

Post by kadmos » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:47 pm

Hails Peavey Customer Service :)

"This 215D /89 ENC is 4 ohms and has a serial number 05997426.
Fortunately the first few numbers on the label weren't important.
It shipped from the factory on 01/05/1993.
Since the name doesn't mention BW's ( Black Widows ) then it must have two Peavey Scorpion Plus SP-15825 speakers. Each 15" speaker is rated at 200 watts continuous and 400 watts program.
So combined then 400 watts continuous and 800 watts program."

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:48 pm

Cooool.... 8) :wink:

Thank You Customer Service

Another Good Deed :!: :!: :!:

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

kadmos

Post by kadmos » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:29 am

didn't open the whole thing but i did take off one of the side handle panels just to peek inside - the speaker i could see was indeed a Scorpion.

would have liked some BWs but i needed something fast and for the $ i couldn't pass this up.

kadmos

Post by kadmos » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:09 pm

:!:
Last edited by kadmos on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kadmos

Post by kadmos » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:44 pm

now the fun stuff :(

anyone here ever re-tolexed just the backside of a cabinet? if so, tips/advice appreciated. i did search the forum and some other places - i think i've read just enough to go ahead and make a nice mess :P

Oren Hudson

Post by Oren Hudson » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:52 pm

To do it right, you've got to get all of the old tolex off. Then if there's any gouges, punctures or such, you'll need to fill those in. Then sand so that the surface is smooth. If you don't do that, all of the rough spots will show through the new tolex and look bad. You probably want to google re-tolexing for further tips and advice, but I've told you the first things to do. Preparation is important. It's a lot of work, but the only other alternative is rhino lining. It's nearly as much work too. Good luck and check back for advice as you progress.
you can't have too much bass

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:37 pm

You can see that those are Scorpions through the grille cloth, no need to go inside. Scorpions have that fairly wide brushed aluminum mounting flange that is squared off some on the sides and top and bottom. It is shaped a little like a stop sign. The appearance is unique to the Scorpion.

kadmos

Post by kadmos » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:07 am

Enzo wrote:You can see that those are Scorpions through the grille cloth, no need to go inside. Scorpions have that fairly wide brushed aluminum mounting flange that is squared off some on the sides and top and bottom. It is shaped a little like a stop sign. The appearance is unique to the Scorpion.
indeed, good tip.
Oren Hudson wrote:To do it right, you've got to get all of the old tolex off.
yeah i've been trying to find tutorials on just re-tolexing one side of cab but apparently no one ever does that. i can't tell how to get this big fker apart though - doesn't look like it was built for that (no visible screws other than for corner plates and wheels) and i don't have the carpentry skills to improvise in the limited time i have - so i'm going to try to replace just the back. by removing the handle and going in through the side i can get to the input jack so i can at least make that part look right. doesn't need to look brand new i just don't want to be rolling this thing up into the clubs looking like i pulled it from the dumpster. too much love for Peavey for that :wink:

Oren Hudson

Post by Oren Hudson » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:02 pm

The back does not come off. It's glued in. I understand what you saying about taking it out. I also like for my gear to look good. Based on what I can see in the photos, and if I were you, I'd get whatever peeled tolex cut off or sanded down. Then tape off and just paint the exposed wood with a layer of primer and some black paint. Feather edge as much as possible. Then a good coat of Future, Mop & Glo or whatever to even out the look and give it a layer of protection. It won't look new, but it will look much better than it does now. Chances are, the rest of the cab is not perfect either. :)
you can't have too much bass

pawleep

Post by pawleep » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:00 am

am refurbishing one as we speak and need info on port mods, dampening and wiring..

I added a few pieces of wood around the vents (all sides but the bottom since the rectangular ports are only about an inch away from the edge) so effectively the vent(s) length are approx. 2"

Wondering if 2 older 1504's (4ohm) wired in series is as good as 2 1502's wired parallel?
Is there any benefit or detriment to putting a cross vent hole(s) between chambers? pp