Max 115 Issue

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey bass amplifiers.
SunGodRa

Max 115 Issue

Post by SunGodRa » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:43 pm

I had my Max 115 amp running for around 2 hours last night. I let the bassist from the band before mine use it, and we both used it at around 4-5 on the volume level, since there were no mics and their DI wasn't adequate. He used an active bass, and I used a passive one. The first band played: no problems with my amp. He had a moderately heavy tone since he played in a metal/hardcore band (think Paul Grey of Slipknot). I turned it off after their sit and moved it to the other side of the floor to where I would be playing. I had a more 70s-style, slightly-dirty/very deep tone (think Geezer Butler of Black Sabbath). Roughly 45 minutes into our set, the amp stops making sound, but it isn't powered down. The blue light on the power switch was red, but then went back to blue (and every time I hit a note, the blue light would have a reddish tint to it). The sound guy resorted to hooking me up to DI, which was bad quality, but it was the only choice we had. And it worked. A couple minutes later, I randomly hit the bass boost button on the amp, and it's making noise again...for 5 minutes. Then silence again and I had to rely on DI. It was going between sound and no sound coming directly from the amp before finally giving up and making me use the DI for the last 15 minutes of the set. I thought it may have clipped (I know some amps do that, and I honestly don't know what that means), or it just overheated. I turned it on today and played through it and it seemed fine, but I don't know if that means it'll be good for another show. Anyone know what may have happened, and how could I prevent such a thing from happening again?

Homestarmy

Re: Max 115 Issue

Post by Homestarmy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:56 am

I'm having the same issue. Bought the Amp in December and it was working fine for awhile. Ran it directly through to a small Berhinger mixer to practice. I noticed over the weekend that the speaker's dead. The headphone jack works fine, and the direct interface works fine too. I also noted the red light. I'm guessing it's an overdrive/clip indicator but that's only a guess.

I see there's at least one other thread on this issue with the 112, so it looks like there's some issue.

Hemi

Post by Hemi » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:01 am

The red light is to indicate that DDT is kicking in, which is a speaker protection system.

This can happen, even if your volume is not all the way up, as if you set a high input gain you might be pushing the amp too hard.

No sound, it could be the amp overheating and going into thermal shutdown, or it could be a damaged speaker, or it could be something else entirely.
Varg Vikernes - uses Piveë Amps and Guitars, you should too. :mrgreen:

Homestarmy

Post by Homestarmy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:11 am

In my case it's not over heating (shut it down overnight didn't fix anything). Is there a way to test the speaker before taking it in, or is taking it the next step?

Hemi

Post by Hemi » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:30 am

http://youtu.be/xIMHGkxw72o

Easier than me typing it :mrgreen:
Varg Vikernes - uses Piveë Amps and Guitars, you should too. :mrgreen:

Homestarmy

Post by Homestarmy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:04 pm

So I ended up taking my amp to an authorized repair center about 10 days ago. Just got the call to come pick it up...it just made the do not repair list. I have to take it back to the retailer and swap it out for another one....

malatmd

Post by malatmd » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:40 am

I am also expiriencing a problem with this amp, it cuts out sound and at times I will beat it on top it will playbfor few seconds. What should be done

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:14 pm

Probably an electrically dirty jack contact in FX loop return, my first thought.

Also, if under warranty, I'd see my retailer or nearest authorized PV repair shop.