Selecting Bass Amp for Son

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey bass amplifiers.
Bolas

Selecting Bass Amp for Son

Post by Bolas » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:38 pm

Selecting First Bass Amp for Son.

I'm looking at two USED Bass Combo Amps. both have 1X15 speaker. The Amp will mainly be in the practice spot"garage" so not lugging it around.

Peavey TKO 115 S($190)
vs
the Newer Peavey Max 115 II ($180)

Any recommendations?
Thank you! :D

thunda

Re: Selecting Bass Amp for Son

Post by thunda » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:29 pm

Get the max. 300 watts vs 80. It won't have to work as hard
When Gibsons are outlawed, only outlaws will have Gibsons

Si Gibsons proscriptae soli proscript habebit Gibsons

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:07 pm

Interesting. My recommendation isn't on the list, but it's the Max112. It's a perfect garage band amp and has a built in DI for when the guys decide to go out gigging. Despite all specs and appearances telling me to say otherwise, it sounds louder, lower, and better than the Max115.

Then again, I tend to think of the looooooooong term issues, such as:
How many times do you want the cops called because that 300 watt amp is just dying to be pushed to it's limits?
How bad do you want your son's hearing to be when he is 40 years old?
How many boat payments do you want your chiropractor to earn because you lugged around an old 300 watt amp?

:lol:

On the serious side, I've seen this a LOT of times and you can avoid a huge pitfall of many bands and that's the competition for stage volume at the expense of sound quality. It starts out with the bass player getting an amp that will demolish houses. The guitar player then decides to one-up the bass player with a 150 watt full stack. Not to be out done, the drummer now uses Louisville Slugger drum sticks and hits the drums hard enough that you have a hard time believing that the cops haven't come to arrest him for battery. Of course, all this means that the singer can't hear themselves and so now they want 800 watts of earsplitting power going to their monitor.

In the end, if they ever do get a gig, it will be the first and last one they played because they're just a damned cacophony of racket on the stage.

On the other hand, maybe I'm exaggerating. A little. Not much though.
:D
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

Bolas

Post by Bolas » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:47 pm

thunda wrote:Get the max. 300 watts vs 80. It won't have to work as hard
Thank you

Bolas

Post by Bolas » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:48 pm

Josjor wrote:Interesting. My recommendation isn't on the list, but it's the Max112. It's a perfect garage band amp and has a built in DI for when the guys decide to go out gigging. Despite all specs and appearances telling me to say otherwise, it sounds louder, lower, and better than the Max115.

Then again, I tend to think of the looooooooong term issues, such as:
How many times do you want the cops called because that 300 watt amp is just dying to be pushed to it's limits?
How bad do you want your son's hearing to be when he is 40 years old?
How many boat payments do you want your chiropractor to earn because you lugged around an old 300 watt amp?

:lol:

On the serious side, I've seen this a LOT of times and you can avoid a huge pitfall of many bands and that's the competition for stage volume at the expense of sound quality. It starts out with the bass player getting an amp that will demolish houses. The guitar player then decides to one-up the bass player with a 150 watt full stack. Not to be out done, the drummer now uses Louisville Slugger drum sticks and hits the drums hard enough that you have a hard time believing that the cops haven't come to arrest him for battery. Of course, all this means that the singer can't hear themselves and so now they want 800 watts of earsplitting power going to their monitor.

In the end, if they ever do get a gig, it will be the first and last one they played because they're just a damned cacophony of racket on the stage.

On the other hand, maybe I'm exaggerating. A little. Not much though.
This is AWESOME!
Thanks also for the recommendation \m/\m/

Bassguitarist1985

Post by Bassguitarist1985 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:27 am

Josjor wrote:Interesting. ....It starts out with the bass player getting an amp that will demolish houses. The guitar player then decides to one-up the bass player with a 150 watt full stack. Not to be out done, the drummer now uses Louisville Slugger drum sticks and hits the drums hard enough that you have a hard time believing that the cops haven't come to arrest him for battery. Of course, all this means that the singer can't hear themselves and so now they want 800 watts of earsplitting power going to their monitor. ....

:lol: I had a good chuckle reading this because we have all been there! As I get older, and less tolerant of such shenanigans these young guns pull I find myself not willing to play out as much. When I do though, I now understand the whole joke of bringing two 2x10 cabs versus one 4x10 because it saves the back! I used to play with a drummer who thought he was Phil Collins, phenominal drummer, but understood the concept of musical space. Another drummer was like Bam Bam on the drums and the nights I didn't have earplugs I regretted.
Pro Audio 16FX2, PV6USB, 2xQF131, QF215, 2x SP2, 2xSP118, 2xPV1600, PV3800, 4xKPC15MP
Bass - Grind 6 NTB 410TVX, 115BVX, MAX700, 210TVX, MiniMega, VB-2, VB-3, VB-MA

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:22 am

Bassguitarist1985 wrote:
Josjor wrote:Interesting. ....It starts out with the bass player getting an amp that will demolish houses. The guitar player then decides to one-up the bass player with a 150 watt full stack. Not to be out done, the drummer now uses Louisville Slugger drum sticks and hits the drums hard enough that you have a hard time believing that the cops haven't come to arrest him for battery. Of course, all this means that the singer can't hear themselves and so now they want 800 watts of earsplitting power going to their monitor. ....

:lol: I had a good chuckle reading this because we have all been there! As I get older, and less tolerant of such shenanigans these young guns pull I find myself not willing to play out as much. When I do though, I now understand the whole joke of bringing two 2x10 cabs versus one 4x10 because it saves the back! I used to play with a drummer who thought he was Phil Collins, phenominal drummer, but understood the concept of musical space. Another drummer was like Bam Bam on the drums and the nights I didn't have earplugs I regretted.
After working and/or owning a music store since 1984, I've begun to see sort of a bell curve in the size of gear depending on the age of musician. The progression goes like this:
Drummer, in order of gear used:
Snare kit for school band
Entry level five piece kit, three cymbals
Seven piece kit with eight cymbals, cowbell, woodblock, timbale, tambo mount, etc.
High quality five piece kit, five cymbals
High quality four piece kit, three cymbals
Cajon and tambourine

Guitarist, in order of gear used:
Beginner acoustic
Beginner electric and small 8" speaker guitar amp
Mid level guitar and 112 combo amp.
High end or collector guitar and half stack, 100 watt head.
Another high end guitar, full stack, 150 watt head, 9 foot pedals. NOTE: Has not sold or traded any guitars, now owns eight guitars, brings five to every gig.
Discards full stack, goes back to a 212 Combo and 4 pedals. Only takes three guitars to gigs. Keeps all guitars.
Downsizes to 112 Combo, two pedals, two guitars to gig. Keeps all guitars.
Doesn't gig but does show up with an acoustic to the local jam circle. Keeps all guitars and 112 combo, since it's all he has left after the divorce.

All instances go from small gear to more gear to huge gear and back to essential gear. :lol:
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

Bassguitarist1985

Post by Bassguitarist1985 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:25 pm

and how would you describe a bass player's bell curve of GAS?
Pro Audio 16FX2, PV6USB, 2xQF131, QF215, 2x SP2, 2xSP118, 2xPV1600, PV3800, 4xKPC15MP
Bass - Grind 6 NTB 410TVX, 115BVX, MAX700, 210TVX, MiniMega, VB-2, VB-3, VB-MA