More powerful speaker for Minx 110

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey bass amplifiers.
alba359

More powerful speaker for Minx 110

Post by alba359 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:12 pm

Hi, I'm using a Peavey Minx 110 to monitor my bass drum. The speaker distorts at higher volume. I'd like to change the speaker In the amp to a more powerful speaker that can handle the bass drum. Does anyone have recommendations on which speaker to use? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Don

Enzo

Re: More powerful speaker for Minx 110

Post by Enzo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:58 pm

Are you sure it is the speaker and not just the amp distorting? There is a limit to the power supply in the amp, you could easily be clipping it.

If you like you could take the chassis from the amp, and connect the speaker wires to some bass cab, like a 4x10 or 1x15 or whatever. See if you can turn it way up that way.

alba359

Post by alba359 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:12 pm

Thanks Enzo, I have couple of cabs I will try. One is an old 12" pa cab with a Scorpion. It's been through lots of through about 25 or more years, of off on use, but it still sounds great. Thanks again, Don

zygoma

Post by zygoma » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:47 am

This may not be the answer if you want to keep the same overall form factor as the Minx's combo has, but for fairly small rooms with blues gigs, I set my Hartke TP-210 cab on the floor vertically and put the Minx on top. That lets me point the controls and the built-in 1x10 face me as a monitor, and I can face the Hartke towards the house. If need be, I can separate them so the 2x10 goes "through" the drummer on its way to the house. With that 8-ohm Hartke plugged in parallel, the amp also safely puts out 50 watts, split between the two cabs.
I also usually drop off much of the "low" gain pot and turn up the mids. This cuts down on the "boomuddiness" of my bass so the drummer can hear my articulation better. I nodded in a Direct Out jack, pre-volume and pre-EQ so the FOH guy, if we have one, can set the FOH his/her/its/their way. But for a big room, I generally take a bigger rig and still let the sound guy have his way with my DI Out.
E=mC^2 (+/- 3dB for real-world applications)