Blue Marvel for a Microbass?

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey bass amplifiers.
DanMax

Blue Marvel for a Microbass?

Post by DanMax » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:08 pm

I took a risk on a pretty rough looking pawn shop Micro bass last week.

Today I got around to cleaning it up, spraying cleaner down the pots and jacks, touching up the paint, etc. She cleaned up pretty well.

The main problem was that mud had been splashed on the speaker. I got that off, very carefully, with dish detergent, water, and a toothbrush. I stopped twice to let it dry out, so the cone wouldn't get soaked clear through.

It sounds... well, very good for a $25 bass amp. But I'm wondering if I could do better by installing a new speaker. The old one may have been damaged, and may not have been top-of-the-line to start with. It's one of the Chinese made microbasses.

I'm considering replacing it with an 8", 4 ohm Blue Marvel.

Would that be a significant upgrade? Would the sound be way better, or just a little? More of a guitar speaker, not proper for a bass amp?

Thanks.

Billy Bass

Re: Blue Marvel for a Microbass?

Post by Billy Bass » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:24 pm

A new speaker will help, you just need to try to match the input wattage and the ohm of the original speaker.

RobbieNuke

Post by RobbieNuke » Fri May 31, 2019 9:11 pm

What year did Peavey start using the Blue Marvel speakers in the MicroBASS combo? What brand(s)/model(s) were used before the Blue Marvel? Any catalog references would be great!

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:09 pm

RobbieNuke wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:11 pm
What year did Peavey start using the Blue Marvel speakers in the MicroBASS combo? What brand(s)/model(s) were used before the Blue Marvel? Any catalog references would be great!
I've got a silver stripe era Microbass amp (green light, grey button), and it has this in it;
Ohm checks at 3.7

IMG_20190603_213814.jpg
IMG_20190603_213814.jpg (386.06 KiB) Viewed 3681 times