New MAX 112 Aggravations

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey bass amplifiers.
bassislife

New MAX 112 Aggravations

Post by bassislife » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:43 am

Just got a new MAX 112 which I (mostly) like very much. Two aggravations keep me from loving it.

1. There's a buzz that comes from the top of the cabinet when I play a 'G' note. If I press down on the top of the cabinet while the note is sounding it goes away. Not sure how I can fix this.
2. The promotional sticker they put on the metal grill is stuck on there. I tried peeling it off and it just ripped. Now it just looks awful and still has part of the speaker covered by the promotional sticker (see photo). It's really irritating when companies do something like this.
IMG_20181118_092455.jpg
IMG_20181118_092455.jpg (240.44 KiB) Viewed 6504 times
Since I bought the amp online, I can't easily return it. Thoughts?

Classic30inCincy

Re: New MAX 112 Aggravations

Post by Classic30inCincy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:14 pm

Sticker Removal.....

I use to use product called "Goop Hand Cleaner"

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:56 pm

Call customer service at the factory, your buzz is probably easily cured, and covered by warranty.

I can't speak for the company, but if the sticker will not come off easily, they might just send you a new grille.

Bcherensky

Post by Bcherensky » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:20 pm

Goo Gone or WD-40 will remove the sticker and glue. Peel off as much as you can by hand, the solvent will penetrate the exposed white paper more easily than the glossy paper.

Apply it generously to a rag and wipe it on. Don't spray since you don't want to hit the speaker with the liquid. Then walk away for an hour or so and give the stuff time to work. Peel more and repeat as necessary. I've done this kind of thing a zillion times, with factory stickers as well as user applied stickers.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:43 pm

If I were taking to that grille, I would remove the eight or so screws and take it off the cab. That would guarantee none of my cleaning fluids got on anything else.

Bcherensky

Post by Bcherensky » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:15 am

You'd also have to remove the chassis to remove the grille.

Bass_Surfer

Post by Bass_Surfer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:24 pm

The buzz is from the foam insulation tape not making good contact to the top of the cab at the top pan of the amplifier I bet. It was on mine.

The factory uses some foam tape in critical spots to keep things from smacking each other and I had a piece or two that had shifted out of position - although I don't know how as that sticky side is nasty to remove and I don't see how anything like that could actually move.

I took my amp out - 4 screws on the top and a couple of screws through the pan on the outside of the Peavey logo. The amp will slide out like a drawer - although you'd have to take some actions on the power inlet and voltage switch assembly in the back to get the most wire length to free the amp up enough to actually get it too far out and away.

Unless you actually break any of the red paint seals, you won't be messing with the guarantee I bet - I had to replace a couple of capacitors in the power supply and I had to break a few.

Believe me - I didn't want to but shipping this cab to Peavey from Montana was gonna cost an arm and a leg, so I repaired it myself.

There are a lot of power supply problems with this cabinet - and many people bit the bullet and changed out the caps themselves.

If you've had any printed circuit board repair experience, then it's not too hard to do. The boards are all single-layers, so there's that that's nice too!

HTH.

nhenry

Post by nhenry » Wed May 15, 2019 10:54 am

I used heat from a hairdryer on my sticker and it peeled right off!