Peavey KB 300 / Peavey KB/A 300

This forum is for talking about Peavey keyboard amplifiers.
doom0)))

Re: Peavey KB 300 / Peavey KB/A 300

Post by doom0))) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:13 pm

can i run a 5150 through the power amp in of the kb300?? its kind of an emergency situation. thanks

Hemi

Post by Hemi » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:50 pm

You can run it from the FX loop or Preamp out, but not from one of the speaker jacks. If you are not using the 5150 for sound, you have to pull the power tubes from it too, to prevent the thing from melting down.
Varg Vikernes - uses Piveë Amps and Guitars, you should too. :mrgreen:

Jibril

Post by Jibril » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:08 am

I already downloaded the manuals of both amp.
What the best choice to drive a Roland E-20 Synthesizer and a mic ?

BentFender

Post by BentFender » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:36 pm

Hi. I'm new, to this forum, to the KB 300, and to the electric guitar itself. I recently started trying to teach myself, and so far, so good. I acquired a KB 300, with the Black Widow, at a local pawn shop for $60. They were under the impression that because it said "keyboard amplifier", that it wouldn't work with an electric guitar, so they priced it low "just to get rid of it". As I said, I'm new to all of this, but I know a bargain when I see it, so I promptly paid the pawn shop man ( borrowed a hand truck from him. 88lbs? Really?) And loaded the amp on my truck before anyone in the pawn shop had time to rethink their pricing guidelines. I admit, I even glanced in my rear view mirror as I drove away, because I felt like I stole it.
So now, I'm just looking for some advice on the amp. What would be "best practices" when using it, and very importantly, how do I correctly run effects pedals through it? Any help is greatly appreciated.
PS: I'm playing a Fender Squier Strat and an Epiphone "Special" GS through it. I have a Joyo Ultimate Drive Pedal, Danelectro Fab...Fuzz, Flange, Echo, and Metal Pedals. I also have a Digitech RP55, but as I have not yet received my degree in Rocket Science, I don't use that one much. :-)

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:48 pm

It is an amplifier. It has several identical input channels to accommodate a keyboard use, but you can amplify anything you want. It won't have features common to guitar amps, like overdrive. But if it makes sound you like, that is all that matters. Use it like any amp.

USUALLY we run the gain pedals between guitar and amp. That is overdrives, fuzztones, distortions. Time related things we often prefer to run in th FX loop. That would be delay/reverb, chorus and flange, compression.

But you can run an echo pedal out front if it pleases you.

dpNYC

Post by dpNYC » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi! I have a Peavey KB/A 300 that I bought used with the Rhodes electric piano that I play through it. It's always worked for me until recently it just cut out while I was playing and hasn't made noise since. If I recall correctly it kind of gave a last gasp unusual noise before it died but I might be making that up. i'm hoping it's as simple as replacing a fuse or something but I'm not finding anything like that without opening anything up. I know the speaker was replaced by the previous owner before i bought it so maybe that was blown out again. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to look at to identify and hopefully fix the problem?

Thanks,

Dan

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:24 am

It could be a fuse, but they are inside, so...

dpNYC

Post by dpNYC » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:29 am

I'm not opposed to opening it up. I'll see what I can figure out. Any guidance would be much appreciated though as I haven't serviced this amp before.

Thanks,

Dan

dpNYC

Post by dpNYC » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:36 pm

Hi Again I just found this nugget of information on a different site:

"The amp does not come with built in fuse protection. It stopped working one day and I HOPED that I could simply replace a fuse. As it turned out, the input power stage was completely blown and some major components needed replacing. Special parts needed to be imported from Peavey USA and the repair procedure took several weeks. This is in my opinion extremely poor design and I am surprised to see it from a big USA name brand."

(from: http://www.harmonycentral.com/reviews/p ... 300/473295)

It doesn't sound like it's as simple as I'd hoped. Does anyone else have experience with this issue?