Powered PA spekers for keyboard amps

This forum is for talking about Peavey keyboard amplifiers.
thehutch54

Powered PA spekers for keyboard amps

Post by thehutch54 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:43 am

I am looking at buying an Active PA speaker for amplification for my Roland Keyboard. I am looking at the Mackie Thump 12", the Mackie Thump 15" and the Rockville RPG15BT. I have not seen any reviews on the Rockville ...has anyone heard anything about it or has used it for keyboards ...it says it has 1000 watts Peak, 500 Program and 250 RMS ...the 250 RMS seems really low for a 1000 watt speaker, does it not? Also, I have heard both theories about a 12" and a 15" ....some say get the 15" for the power and the low boost, some say that the 15" will take too much power away from the highs, so to go to the 12" ....any opinions?

Enzo

Re: Powered PA spekers for keyboard amps

Post by Enzo » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:45 pm

I think you have it in reverse. 1000 watts sounds a bit high for a 250 watt speaker, don't you think?

"Peak power" ratings are for marketing, they mean little else.

Since this is a Peavey forum, have you considered any Peavey speakers? They do make a good product and it is well supported.

Regardless, a powered speaker can be a fine choice for a keyboard. Comparing to a keyboard amp, wwhich is suited to stage use. ANy professional speaker will be designed to have a balanced sound, most of them have separate amplifier circuits for lows and highs anyway, so the idea of the woofer stealing power from the highs is not valid. The 15" versions CAN have a little more bottom, but it all depends on what you will be playing from the keyboard.

The thing to do is go to the local music store and LISTEN to these models or at least similar ones. Every major manufacturer makes equivalent types. SO play a keyboard through some brand of 15 and 12 to compare. Buy one based on how it sounds to you, not based on someone's rationalization.

thehutch54

Post by thehutch54 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:41 am

thanks ....that was my plan ...to test a couple of them at a music store ...the Rockville, however, must be ordered so I would not be able to test it first, that is why I was hoping to find someone who had tried it or heard it in action. The reason I am on this Peavey Forum is I Googled keyboard forums and this one came up. This is the first Forum I have ever been on. And Yes ...Peavey does make great speakers. thanks again, and if anyone know anything about the Rockville, please let me know.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:14 pm

Look at the CONTACT page at Rockville, it list only a phone number, no location or address. Where would you get service for it or warranty coverage? A name brand like peavey will tell you where they are, and provide phone and email, they also list all the many service authorized shops all over the country. Something to think about.

thehutch54

Post by thehutch54 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:29 pm

yes ...I think I am going to stay away from the Rockvilles for now.