Help diagnosing KB60 noise problem? (video)

This forum is for talking about Peavey keyboard amplifiers.
mw13068

Help diagnosing KB60 noise problem? (video)

Post by mw13068 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:25 pm

Hi,

I recently acquired a KB60. I've been playing my guitar and amp modeling/effects pedal into it. At low volumes, it sounds great.

At louder volumes I get a static/sizzling noise when I hit the strings with some force.

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNgg_CpfxN4

I haven't opened it up yet. Any ideas what I should be looking for? Is it a blown speaker or tweeter?

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

Enzo

Re: Help diagnosing KB60 noise problem? (video)

Post by Enzo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Simplest thing is to disconnect the speaker and connect the amp to a different speaker for testing. That will tell you if it is amp or speaker.

Dad Roadie

Post by Dad Roadie » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:25 pm

Had the same issue with my KB60. Found it to be a dirty jack. I would.take a guitar cord and with the amp turned OFF insert the plug several times into every jack on the amp encluding the headphone jack in the back. The other thing that might be causing the problem is the molex connector on the curcuit board that goes to the speaker. Again with the amp UNPLUGGED plug the molex connector on and off several times. That would be a second choice. These are GREAT amps. We have used one of these for our school clinics for years. Ours had the same problem you are having.Once I did the above thanks to the suggestions of this great forum it,s worked flawlessly since then.Good luck and I hope this helps.
All the Best
Dad roadie

mw13068

Post by mw13068 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:51 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I tried the jack plugging, and removing and replacing the speaker and reverb connectors inside. No luck. I hear the "sizzle" in headphones as well, so I think that rules-out the speaker as the culprit...

I'll do some more inspection and research as time allows.

mw13068

Post by mw13068 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:21 pm

So, I tried a really crazy idea, and plugged a *keyboard* into this amp, and turned it up loud, and (surprise!) no noise issue.

Then, I plugged in my e-drum kit, and that was fine too.

So, I think the amp just doesn't like my guitars. Maybe it's an impedance thing. I suppose I can't blame the amp for that...

Case closed.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:13 pm

It may not be best for guitars, but they should have no trouble playing through it. I;'d be more suspicious of your cords and any effects you have between the guitar and the amp.

sdg1

Post by sdg1 » Tue May 31, 2016 3:41 pm

Any batteries in effects pedals, or in the guitar? Weird things can happen with dying batteries...