how to troubleshoot a DPM 3se?

This forum is for talking about Peavey keyboard amplifiers.
swatki

how to troubleshoot a DPM 3se?

Post by swatki » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:53 pm

Hi all,

This is my first time here; I'm hoping someone can help, or point me to helpful information.
I have a DPM 3se that has been in storage for 15-20 years. It doesn't seem to work currently, but I don't know how to troubleshoot or repair it.

When I plug it in and turn it on, the display backlight comes on, and the amber light on the disk drive comes on, but nothing else happens.

When I put a disk in the drive (such as the Setup disk that originally came with the keyboard) the disk drive makes noise that sounds like maybe the disk is spinning (a sort of buzzing whirring noise), but nothing else happens.

Is there any chance that this machine is going to work again? Any suggestions for what I should do to troubleshoot? Thanks for any info!

Enzo

Re: how to troubleshoot a DPM 3se?

Post by Enzo » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:02 am

First, look inside at the battery. Is it all fuzzy and leaky? Ther is a clear residue that leaks from failed batteries and coats the board in that area. Unfortunately the stuff is conductive. It is a major pain to clean, but the folks at Peavey are very good at rebuilding those. As always, if you send them the boards, contact them first.

Other than that, you want to make sure all operating voltages are present in the power supplies inside. I forget how, but there is a reinitialization (restore factory presets) that may help. it is usually a matter of holding two or three buttons down as you power up. See the manual.

Schematics are available from customer service at Peavey.

blogfrog

Post by blogfrog » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:00 pm

The Peavey customer support is exceptional! I contacted the parts department today and the staff member there graciously emailed the schematics of the DPM 3SE moments later. I am very impressed by the level of service and customer support which Peavey offers.

blogfrog

Post by blogfrog » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:09 pm

This information might be helpful for your question, especially if in case you are experiencing difficulty repairing or troubleshooting the DPM 3SE yourself:

Excerpt from: https://peavey.com/support/faq/
Q: How do I get an official owner’s manual/schematic for my Peavey amplifier?

A: You can download Owner’s Manuals for most Peavey products free of charge here:

http://www.peavey.com/support/searchmanuals/

Owner’s manuals and spec sheets that are not available on our web site may be obtained by mail (via money order) or by phone (via credit card). Spec sheets and schematics are $2.50 per copy, and owner’s manuals are $7.50 (paperback) and $20 (notebook).

Send Money Order to:
Peavey Electronics Parts Department
PO Box 2898
Meridian, MS 39302

Credit Card orders by phone:
1-877-732-8391

This applies to U.S. and Canadian residents only.
Customers outside the U.S. and Canada should contact their nearest Peavey distributor.

Q: My Peavey product needs repair. What do I do now?

A: If you need assistance finding a service center or retailer, you can use the Dealer/Service Center Locator here:

http://www.peavey.com/support/dealerlocator/

All Peavey retailers are Authorized Service Centers.

You can also return it to the factory for service. For details, click on the following link.

http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/repair/faq.cfm

If we can be of further assistance, please call Repair Assistance (toll free) @ 1-877-732-8391 extension 1418, or email us at [email protected].

Customers outside the U.S. and Canada should contact their local Peavey Distributor for assistance.

Q: How can I order a replacement part for my Peavey product?

A: You can order genuine Peavey parts from any Authorized Peavey Dealer or Service Center. If this is not possible in your case, you may also purchase parts direct from Peavey.

To order replacement parts direct, please call us at 877-732-8391 (toll free in the U.S.) or 601-483-5365. The extension for either number is 1386.
We can take your order via credit card or ship COD to a place of business ONLY.

Our business hours are 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Central Time, Monday-Friday.
Hold times may be long during peak hours. If you have to wait on hold, feel free to leave a name and number and a service representative will contact you as soon as possible.

Features and specs are subject to change without notice. For this reason, please have the serial number of your product handy when calling to order parts. This will help us ensure that we ship the correct parts for your particular model.

Customers outside the U.S. and Canada should contact their local Peavey Distributor for assistance.