DPM 488 Keyboard

This forum is for talking about Peavey keyboard amplifiers.
adobemagic

DPM 488 Keyboard

Post by adobemagic » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:02 pm

I am looking to buy a used DPM 488 and everything seems to be working on it, but there is no sound coming out of the headphone jack. Anybody have any suggestions as to what it could be or what I could try? Thanks!

Enzo

Re: DPM 488 Keyboard

Post by Enzo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:58 am

Do the regular line outs work, so you can amplify it? If the headphones is the only problem, that should be easily repaired.

adobemagic

Post by adobemagic » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:01 am

After doing a little more poking around I have noticed when I select the sound banks there are no sound names, they are just blank. So I started wondering if the original sounds could have been erased. Does anybody know if it's possible to delete all the onboard sound, thus leaving the keyboard soundless? Thanks!

adobemagic

Post by adobemagic » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:06 am

I'm not sure, Enzo. I don't have an amplifier, but I am taking it to one of the local music stores tomorrow to find out. But based on the info in my last post, I'm wondering if the original sounds were deleted somehow. I checked all the banks and don't see the first sound name.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:27 am

Yes, the memory can fail. You need to reinitialize the unit, also known as "restore factory settings". Look at the owner manual for that. Usually it is a procedure like hold two or three buttons down as you turn the power on.

There is a memory IC inside which is kept live by a battery. Over time the battery goes flat and it can;t remember. You can restore factory memory, but as soon as you turn it off, it will forget again.

You need to have this looked at, a bad battery can leak onto the circuit board.

COnsidering age, you probably do need a new battery. I don't recall the details, Peavey service knows, but there is an update where they put a newer memory chip in it that needs no battery.

For now, look up the restore procedure, then try it at power up.