FS HP Special USA CT Custom shop hardtail

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
supercoupe

FS HP Special USA CT Custom shop hardtail

Post by supercoupe » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:54 am

I'm gonna sell my CT CUSTOM SHOP HP. This has been upgraded with a new stained top (was Moon Burst but now a color I created similar to the PRS Copperhead color). Both pickups upgraded: Duncan Custom/Custom in the bridge and Duncan Jazz in the neck. Upgraded PRS volume pot with PRS "lampshade" knobs (far better than the strat type knobs), 3 way switch and Sperzel locking tuners with Ivory buttons. I wired this to be non-coil split as I only use two pickup tones while playing, but I'd throw in the original pots and original neck pickup too. No HS case but I'd package it very carefully. Open to reasonable offers as I realize this is no longer "factory correct" but it is improved over factory standards, and there is NO OTHER HP Special like this in the world.
Attachments
beforeAfter.png
beforeAfter.png (860.79 KiB) Viewed 4840 times
assorted '89 Peavey Nitros (one heavily modded)
former Peavey products: HP Special CT trem, USA Limited, Axcelerator,
Triple XXX, 3120, various Bandits, VTM, Classics, Pro-Fex, Rockmaster pre-amp

NTXRockr

Re: FS HP Special USA CT Custom shop hardtail

Post by NTXRockr » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Is this still available? Also listed on eBay correct? I'm curious what you used to change the color and to seal it, etc. Looks great and definitely on my list of possible buys if I can't find a Limited I'm on the hunt for.

supercoupe

Post by supercoupe » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:34 pm

it just sold today on EvilBay, sorry

supercoupe

Post by supercoupe » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:35 pm

NTXRockr wrote:Is this still available? Also listed on eBay correct? I'm curious what you used to change the color and to seal it, etc. Looks great and definitely on my list of possible buys if I can't find a Limited I'm on the hunt for.
I used Stew Mac dyes in water, then 12 coats of gloss clear Mohawk Pre-Cat Lacquer

NTXRockr

Post by NTXRockr » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:52 pm

Darn, was hoping to hear back from you here before bidding on the eBay auction. Do you typically pick up guitars to facelift and resell? I'd love to find another HP, Limited or even a Wolfgang in the near future.

supercoupe

Post by supercoupe » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:50 am

NTXRockr wrote:Darn, was hoping to hear back from you here before bidding on the eBay auction. Do you typically pick up guitars to facelift and resell? I'd love to find another HP, Limited or even a Wolfgang in the near future.
yeah sometimes I just tweak or completely change them, usually if I "think" it's gonna be a keeper. But the Wolfgang neck is just a bit to skinny in my hands, and I'm looking to buy a house soon, so I'm selling everything I possibly can

hamerman

Post by hamerman » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:40 pm

supercoupe wrote:I'm gonna sell my CT CUSTOM SHOP HP. This has been upgraded with a new stained top (was Moon Burst but now a color I created similar to the PRS Copperhead color). Both pickups upgraded: Duncan Custom/Custom in the bridge and Duncan Jazz in the neck. Upgraded PRS volume pot with PRS "lampshade" knobs (far better than the strat type knobs), 3 way switch and Sperzel locking tuners with Ivory buttons. I wired this to be non-coil split as I only use two pickup tones while playing, but I'd throw in the original pots and original neck pickup too. No HS case but I'd package it very carefully. Open to reasonable offers as I realize this is no longer "factory correct" but it is improved over factory standards, and there is NO OTHER HP Special like this in the world.

Supercoupe: I bought this guitar from you and I'm very satisfied with it. I know we discussed the pickups after I purchased it and I PROMISED to give them a try but I really missed the coil splits so I picked up an original HP Special pickup set on Reverb a few weeks ago and had earlier special ordered a custom wound Bare Knuckle VH II bridge PU so I'm having the Bare Knuckle bridge and the HP neck installed with a new Bare Knuckle 500 push pull vol pot going back to more original specs. I'm super happy with the hard tail set up and of course love the neck. I think with these changes, I'll be picking up my Suhr Modern a bit less often..... Let me know if you want the custom custom and the Jazz back, I'll make you a deal.... :)

supercoupe

Post by supercoupe » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:22 pm

hamerman wrote:
supercoupe wrote:I'm gonna sell my CT CUSTOM SHOP HP. This has been upgraded with a new stained top (was Moon Burst but now a color I created similar to the PRS Copperhead color). Both pickups upgraded: Duncan Custom/Custom in the bridge and Duncan Jazz in the neck. Upgraded PRS volume pot with PRS "lampshade" knobs (far better than the strat type knobs), 3 way switch and Sperzel locking tuners with Ivory buttons. I wired this to be non-coil split as I only use two pickup tones while playing, but I'd throw in the original pots and original neck pickup too. No HS case but I'd package it very carefully. Open to reasonable offers as I realize this is no longer "factory correct" but it is improved over factory standards, and there is NO OTHER HP Special like this in the world.

Supercoupe: I bought this guitar from you and I'm very satisfied with it. I know we discussed the pickups after I purchased it and I PROMISED to give them a try but I really missed the coil splits so I picked up an original HP Special pickup set on Reverb a few weeks ago and had earlier special ordered a custom wound Bare Knuckle VH II bridge PU so I'm having the Bare Knuckle bridge and the HP neck installed with a new Bare Knuckle 500 push pull vol pot going back to more original specs. I'm super happy with the hard tail set up and of course love the neck. I think with these changes, I'll be picking up my Suhr Modern a bit less often..... Let me know if you want the custom custom and the Jazz back, I'll make you a deal.... :)
Ya know both those pickups could have also been wired for coil split

hamerman

Post by hamerman » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:18 pm

supercoupe wrote:
hamerman wrote:

Ya know both those pickups could have also been wired for coil split

Yes going back to coil splits was just part of the plan. the other was going back closer to original specs (original neck PU) and a more low gain PAF tone that has higher individual string clairity with a more high gain preamp setting. It's all good.

Go Pats!