Peavey Nitro Limited bridge wiring

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
April_ethereal

Peavey Nitro Limited bridge wiring

Post by April_ethereal » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:05 pm

Hey guys, hoping someone can help me here. I picked up a Nitro LTD off ebay two years ago. One humbucker in the bridge with on-off-on switch, and 2 single coils with on-off for each.

The slug coil on the humbucker wasn't working, so I decided to remove it and attempt to replace it with a 2 conductor (split into 4 wires). Long story short, life got busy and only now am I just attempting to finish the job. I didn't take any pictures of what went where on the pickup side because I'm a f%#*ng idiot and now I can't remember how it went. I did take pictures inside the guitar body but that's not helping because I am fairly new to guitar wiring but stupidly ambitious.

So I've got a 2 conductor humbucker split at the series link- and would like to use it like the original Peavey pickup.

I guess my question is, was this a tapped or split system they used? Is there a way that I can use this 2 conductor pickup with the DPDT switch?

tele twister

Re: Peavey Nitro Limited bridge wiring

Post by tele twister » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:26 pm

Welcome April!

I can't say what to do specifically, except try connecting it to an amp, on low volume, of course, and switch around the wires in different combinations, until you hear something that sounds normal, when you touch a paper clip on a pole piece.
I think, in order to have a series/parallel option, it needs to be a four conductor pick up.
There are all kinds of hook up diagrams, with DPDT switches and pots, etc., at seymour duncan and dimarzios web sites.
Keep in mind, wire colors are not standard, and vary with pick up brands.

Stay tuned though, someone here with a Nitro might know exactly what to do.

April_ethereal

Re: Peavey Nitro Limited bridge wiring

Post by April_ethereal » Wed May 03, 2017 10:13 pm

Hey Thanks for your response and sorry for the late reply!

I've got it sorted now. Turns out that one of the coils on the original pickup is dead.

I've got another 4 conductor pickup all ready to go but it has a metal base plate that doesn't fit in the Nitro. The Nitro's baseplate is plastic.

Now my question is what to do with the bare wire? Does that absolutely need to be grounded? The South start is already grounded on the tone pot.

The original Peavey pickup had the bare wire soldered to a copper tape that was wrapped around both pickups, over top of the typical black tape.