Peavey EXP Generation

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
harleytech51

Peavey EXP Generation

Post by harleytech51 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:37 pm

Hi, can anyone help with me with some info on an EXP Generation guitar I bought today. I cant seem to find out anything about the particular model I have, cant find serial number tho the seller said he believed it to be from the 1980's?? Ive looked online and have drawn a blank, even all the images don't seem to show anything that's exactly like mine.
The body is in what id describe as a pale yellowy gold with a light metallic / sparkle type finish. Black pick plate, The pickups are 3 in total, slim plain black ones at the neck and centre positions and a black block type within the chrome tail piece / plate. They have "Select designed by EMG" on each one.
Rosewood type fretboard with dot markers on a neck that id assume to be maybe maple or some similar light coloured wood with quite a satin type finish.. Plain black Peavey wording with Generation in smaller lettering underneath on the headstock and EXP towards the tip just below the first tuner post.
Can anyone throw any light on this model, where it was probably made and how old it is likely to be also what the colour / finish is known as?? I'm asking for my own interest as I'm intending to keep the guitar which plays beautifully. I may upgrade the EMG's as the only thing I have been able to find out is that the "Select" pickups aren't too special so maybe some upgrade suggestions ??
Many thanks to anyone who can help. I'm in the UK and don't think I did too badly on the buying price at under £100 (GBP) but no doubt someone will be able to tell me ..LOL

Classic30inCincy

Re: Peavey EXP Generation

Post by Classic30inCincy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:14 pm

Pic's MIGHT Help Forum Members Identify Your Guitar :!: :idea: :!:

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

harleytech51

Post by harleytech51 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:50 am

Thanks, I will attempt some pics asap, I only got this guitar yesterday and hoped from my description someone might be expert enough to recognise from my description etc..Thanks.

Lacking Talent

Post by Lacking Talent » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:58 am

harleytech51 wrote:Hi, can anyone help with me with some info on an EXP Generation guitar I bought today. I cant seem to find out anything about the particular model I have, cant find serial number tho the seller said he believed it to be from the 1980's?? Ive looked online and have drawn a blank, even all the images don't seem to show anything that's exactly like mine.
The body is in what id describe as a pale yellowy gold with a light metallic / sparkle type finish. Black pick plate, The pickups are 3 in total, slim plain black ones at the neck and centre positions and a black block type within the chrome tail piece / plate. They have "Select designed by EMG" on each one.
Rosewood type fretboard with dot markers on a neck that id assume to be maybe maple or some similar light coloured wood with quite a satin type finish.. Plain black Peavey wording with Generation in smaller lettering underneath on the headstock and EXP towards the tip just below the first tuner post.
Can anyone throw any light on this model, where it was probably made and how old it is likely to be also what the colour / finish is known as?? I'm asking for my own interest as I'm intending to keep the guitar which plays beautifully. I may upgrade the EMG's as the only thing I have been able to find out is that the "Select" pickups aren't too special so maybe some upgrade suggestions ??
Many thanks to anyone who can help. I'm in the UK and don't think I did too badly on the buying price at under £100 (GBP) but no doubt someone will be able to tell me ..LOL
This it?
GenEXP.png
GenEXP.png (444.27 KiB) Viewed 5167 times

BPSUL

Post by BPSUL » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:48 am

If it's an EXP its not from the 80's. If its from the 80's its not an EXP.

The USA models were made in the late 90's.
The EXP models are asian made and were made during the 2000's.

If it has a pickgaurd it's an EXP model. If it has a carved top its a USA model.

harleytech51

Post by harleytech51 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:27 am

Thank you BPSUL for the reply. Ive since found out from Peavey themselves that my guitar is a 2004 Generation EPX as that was the year the Gold metal flake type finish was made, changing the following year to "Butterscotch" through which the wood grain was visible. Can anyone help with a wiring diagram for this guitar which is the standard 3 Pickup model, 2 Singles, 1 Humbucker and a 5 way switch ( NO Piezo / toggle switch etc).
Many thanks.

harleytech51

Post by harleytech51 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:32 am

Thanks to Lacking Talent for the reply and yes that's the guitar I have tho mine has the EMG Select pickups which ive now been told by Peavey must have been fitted by a previous owner as Peavey never fit EMG's and never have done.
Theyre crappy pickups anyhow and are the weak link in an otherwise excellent guitar. I'm in the process of ordering some decent replacements.
Thank you for the reply and the pic..

steveplaysguitar

Post by steveplaysguitar » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:11 pm

I bought a gold Generation EXP from a friend of mine who installed Kent Armstrong pick ups in it. The Armstrong pick ups are more clear and have a bit more volume than the originals and the neck pup is no longer muddy.

This one has the SSH pickups, 3 knobs and a 5 way switch. It also has the Fishman Piezo bridge and that sounds great. What it does not have is the additional switch that I have seen on other EXP guitars.

Does anyone have info about the EXP without the additional small switch? What does it do? What years did it not come on?

Thanks,
Steve