Peavey T-15 question

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
TRexF16

Peavey T-15 question

Post by TRexF16 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:51 pm

I just acquired a Peavey T-15 that had a bit of a buzz indicating a grounding issue. I found the issue - There was a 103 (.010uf) capacitor wired between the sleeve (ground) lug of the jack and the ground wire to the bridge. The capacitor seems to be bad, with no continuity or value reading measurable with the meter. I took it out and connected the bridge ground directly to the jack, absent the cap - left everything else the same. It sounds fine now - no buzz, but the rest of the wiring sure is unusual, compared to the stuff I am used to working on. A few hits online indicate to me the wiring is (or was, 'till I clipped out that cap) stock. There's a .001uf cap across the volume lugs in a normal type of treble bleed configuration, but a resistor between the pots and the volume lug wires are backwards from what I normally see.
So, what is the .010uf cap for between the output jack and ground? That's my main question - wondering if I should put one back in.

Thanks,
Rex

maltomario

Re: Peavey T-15 question

Post by maltomario » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:04 pm

capacitors normally don't measure continuity - there is no direct path for current flow in a capacitor due to their construction. You have to measure them using a capacitance meter (which most lower end Digital multimeters (DMMs) do not have as a feature).

Roger Crimm

Post by Roger Crimm » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:58 pm

I am no guitar tech, but that does not look stock to me. The schematic I have does not indicate that cap on the bridge ground, no idea why that would be there.

That "resistor" is actually what some call a bumble bee cap. I can't make out the color code from your pic, but the schematic indicates .022 MFD.
Attachments
T-15, Patriot, Patriot 86.pdf
(129.58 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
Roger Crimm
Service Manager
[email protected]

TRexF16

Post by TRexF16 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:43 am

Thanks Roger,
I found one post by a guy who had taken apart 4 different T-15s and every one of them had that cap in-line on the jack ground. Also, without the cap there, the ground wire was not long enough to reach the jack, another indication it was original.

Thanks for the schematic!

Rex

TRexF16

Post by TRexF16 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:33 pm

Hey guys, I got my answer over on the T-60 Mafia forum. The cap was stock, but intended to reduce shock hazard from touching microphones, etc, and doesn't seem to have any effect on tone. I had the buzz because the cap was bad. Replacing it with a straight wire fixed everything.

Cheers,
Rex