T-60 Head Hut needs replacing--where to get?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
Funnybone

T-60 Head Hut needs replacing--where to get?

Post by Funnybone » Tue May 16, 2017 12:39 am

Two questions:
1) How to remove the existing head nut of a T-60 safely ?

2) Where to find a replacement. [either wonder-plastic or metal] ..but hopefully the same size.

I'm getting the idea that the neck on a T-60 is slightly narrower, than most other guitars, and I have been unable to find a replacement nut with the same dimensions of the stock one, [that somebody filed-down crooked, before I got it--the Big E is buzzing from the first fret, on.]

Any ideas?

Thanks,
J.

Lee60

Re: T-60 Head Hut needs replacing--where to get?

Post by Lee60 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:35 am

Hi Funnybone,
I'm actually in the same situation as you... I have a T-60 that needs a new nut. I'm fairly certain the string spread at the bridge is identical to a USA Telecaster, and I know the neck heel dimensions are identical to a Tele, so I'd assume the spacing at the nut would be similar too. I'm considering this one: https://www.amazon.com/Graph-Tech-Fende ... B003HGQTIG

RE: removing your nut safely. Same procedure as most other guitars... gentle taps with a screwdriver and hammer. There are plenty of YouTube videos demonstrating if you're nervous about it.

Let me know which nut you decide to go with!

Lee
Current Peavey roster:
Composer acoustic, Fury bass, Falcon Standard, Patriot (hardtail), Patriot (tremolo), Predator, Reactor, T-15

Non-Peavey
Squier Affinity Starcaster, Taylor 314ce acoustic

Funnybone

Re: T-60 Head Hut needs replacing--where to get?

Post by Funnybone » Wed May 17, 2017 3:25 am

Well-- I'm nervous about that curved shape on the bottom-- I'm assuming the stock one is flat. ..being machined metal.

This is the closest that I found:
GraphTech- TUSQ [PT-1728-00 is 1/16 longer & 1/16 wider, E-E] [width may be a tad thin, at 1/8" if it is exact. mine was 1/8+

Being longer, could be sanded easily. ..but I didn't bring the guitar with me to see if a 1/32" wider E-E would be fatal, or not. so I ended up here.

I'll be gone for 2-5 days, but will get back to you, ..need to find something else to play, while that one is dismantled.
Good luck,