1991 Peavey Predator - Your Favorite Upgrades?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
wllfthn

1991 Peavey Predator - Your Favorite Upgrades?

Post by wllfthn » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:49 am

Hello all,

I will be picking up a 1991 Predator this evening and had a few questions for all you experts. I have been wanting to pick up a strat clone for some time now, and the Predator almost always makes the list of great clones for the money. I found one on Craigslist for $100. Currently, it is all stock and appears to be in great shape. Since I'm getting it for such a good price, I figured I would go ahead do a few upgrades to really bring out its full potential.

So - my question is: What have you done to your predator that significantly improved the guitar? Please provide the brand name and model of each upgrade (or even a link!) so I can do a little research.

Things I definitely want to do: replace tuners, replace the pick guard, replace the pickups (maybe - I have yet to hear the stock pups), possibly replace the bridge and possibly give it a relic'ed look. It's black with a white pick guard now.

One thing I should say - I am a total novice when it comes to this type of work. If you can point me in the direction of some videos to help teach me how to do some of these things, that would be great. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

zaxxon

Re: 1991 Peavey Predator - Your Favorite Upgrades?

Post by zaxxon » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:04 pm

Congrats on the Predator. As was suggested on here, I got the Wilkinson tuners. They work well but to use the busings that came with them, I had to open the peg holes up a little bit. There is a thread here about those tuners for Predators.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Wilkinson-F ... p_891.html

I got a pickguard from Warmoth that fit all except for one hole, which went in but took a little pg bending and screw angling. It's nice that W has a pg builder site where you can customize your pickguard.

http://www.warmoth.com/Pickguard/StratPickguard.aspx