Found a T-60 in a flea market yesterday—wanting to do some restoration

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
Drownsoda

Found a T-60 in a flea market yesterday—wanting to do some restoration

Post by Drownsoda » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:32 am

I was completely unfamiliar with Peavey guitars prior to yesterday when I came across a T-60 in a flea market. I didn't even know what it was at first, but it has a honey-colored sunburst that immediately caught my eye, while the shape sort of reminded me of Danelectro guitars I'd seen in the past. I picked it up and it felt about as heavy as my Jazzmaster (maybe more), and it seemed sturdily built. The asking price was $20.00 (!?) which I knew was absurd just by holding the guitar—it's clearly built like a battle axe.

At twenty bucks, it would have been ludicrous for me not to get it, but I was really surprised to see the asking prices for them when I got home and did some research online. I basically stole the thing. I don't want to sell it, but I am interested in doing some work on it, and was looking for some insight from people who are more familiar with these guitars.

Whoever owned the guitar before me had foolishly taken the metal Peavey logo off of an amplifier and screwed it into the face of the body (a teenager I'm assuming). I took it off immediately when I got it home, but it's left two small (albeit shallow) holes on the face of the guitar that I want to have filled in. I'm not knowledgable about guitar restoration, but my father builds custom guitars and knows his way around both the hardware and woodwork. My main question I guess is whether or not doing some work to this thing would devalue it or not. From the little I have read, they seem to be increasing in price, but I don't know the trends on that to have foresight on the matter.

I do know that some guitars are better left untouched (my dad has a Telecaster from the 1960s that he won't do any work on just because of its age and worth) but I was wondering what people who are more in the know on Peaveys (especially T-60s) would recommend? Another thing the previous owner did was reroute the output jack so that it's front-facing; they drilled it through the pick guard (thankfully) and I didn't even realize it wasn't original until I got it home and found the hole from the original jack on the bottom.

Long story short, I'm wondering if this is worth doing some restoration work on and keeping as a collector's piece in the long run. I played the thing last night and it has great tone and seems really versatile based on the half-hour I spent playing around on it. Based on what I found on Wikipedia, the guitar is an '81, but I'm not entirely sure given the Wiki article didn't have references for the dating key provided. If this is wrong, let me know. I'm basically trying to gather as much information as I can so I can pass it on to my dad as he is the one who will be doing the hands-on work. This was possibly the best find I've ever had at a flea market. Thank you!

Here's a few pictures of the guitar:

Image Image Image Image

BPSUL

Re: Found a T-60 in a flea market yesterday—wanting to do some restoration

Post by BPSUL » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:11 pm

Man, thats killer. Killer. Love that finish.

Someone has replaced the pickups, by the way.

Since its already been done then it's not on you. You get to leave them or try other aftermarket pickups without having to modify a stock guitar.

If you want to flip that thing my way and make some money just let me know.

jethro

Re: Found a T-60 in a flea market yesterday—wanting to do some restoration

Post by jethro » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:00 pm

Well, after studying it, I believe it is beyond redemption. I would be willing to pay you the 20 you payed, plus shipping of course, to send it to me so I can deal with this poor mishandled piece of useless firewood in the proper way. :lol: :o :wink: :mrgreen:

Seriously, congrats on the gitfiddle.